Location: Flexible; preference for metropolitan New York, Boston or D.C.
Status: Full-time; flexibility to work from home up to 80%
Travel: Periodic – up to 30%
Ideal start date: November 2016 - January 2017
AchieveMission is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to dramatically increasing the impact achieved by nonprofits, by improving their capacity for human capital management and leadership development. We consult to exemplary nonprofits and foundations, collaborating with them to implement leadership development and human capital management best practices that enable them to increase mission impact. As a thought leader, we leverage and adapt practices honed and proven in the corporate sector, and we create and share innovative solutions tailored to the unique needs of nonprofits.
Our consulting team brings together one of the richest concentrations of human capital management expertise focused on the nonprofit sector. Our team members have led leadership development and succession at IBM and GE, been a Partner at Hewitt and Mercer, overseen more than 1,000 nonprofit consulting engagements and helped lead innovative nonprofits such as Citizen Schools, Jumpstart, City Year, Independent Sector and the Taproot Foundation.
Our award-winning clients and funders include four recipients of the Monitor/Fast Company Social Capitalist Award, two organizations named by the Nonprofit Times as among the 50 Best Places to Work in the nonprofit sector, three Social Innovation Fund recipients, four led by Ashoka Fellows or Skoll Social Entrepreneurs, and three of the country’s largest foundations including Kresge, Kellogg and Annie E. Casey.
Our organization is passionate about helping our clients realize measurable increases in mission impact, dedicated to creating and sharing knowledge, and grounded in candor and data-driven decision-making.
The Associate Director, Development is a new and integral member of the Partner and Market Development (PMD) team. S/he will help identify new partnership opportunities and enhance our existing relationships with some of the country’s most innovative, outcome-driven and dynamic nonprofit organizations.
In return, the Associate Director, Development will gain the opportunity to learn nonprofit leadership and management strategy; work with and support an award-winning team of nonprofit senior directors; and, strengthen his/her human capital and fundraising experiences, all while making a lasting impact on nonprofits and the communities they serve.
The Associate Director, Development reports to the CEO and provides support to the five-member PMD team that manages our nonprofit and foundation partnerships. The Associate Director will build strong relationships with the PMD team to meet or exceed our revenue and grants goals while ensuring that prospective clients and current partners are well positioned to benefit from our transformative human capital solutions.
The Associate Director’s duties are provided below.
- Collaborate with the PMD team to develop outstanding proposals that strongly resonate with nonprofit and foundation audiences, and demonstrate the fit between the client’s needs and the human capital management methods and approaches we’ve developed
- Support the PMD team in the drafting and development of external communications such as contracts, emails, and other partner correspondence
Relationship and Project Management
- Build strong relationships with the PMD team
- Manage up to to each PMD team member to ensure that each leader is taking timely steps to achieve stated goals, and that the team coordinates on complicated partner development efforts, and is moving every opportunity through a pipeline to completion
- Manage a portfolio of partner projects to completion on tight deadlines
- Ensure that the PMD team communicates with their partners on a frequent basis to nurture existing relationships and move prospective opportunities forward
- Leverage his/her professional connections, as well as the extensive networks of our entire team and board, to identify new partnership opportunities
- Support the CEO and PMD team’s efforts to raise approximately $3 million annually, through a combination of client fees and foundation grants
- Attend and actively participate in PMD team meetings, and meet routinely with each member of the PMD team to identify ways to support their work
- Identify and contribute to the sharing of the PMD team’s best practices
- Support and lead a range of marketing initiatives such as conferences, webinars, targeted email campaigns, and collateral development
- Identify ways to improve lead generation and qualification as well as PMD support programs and resources
Research, Analysis and Data Management
- Run and analyze Salesforce reports (e.g., pipelines, forecasts, wins/losses, shortfalls), and identify process improvements
- Identify, qualify and prioritize nonprofits and foundations that could greatly benefit from our services; prepare and share data with the PMD team
- Use data to help drive decision making and tailor asks
- Help the PMD team enter and update partnership data in Salesforce; ensure Salesforce data quality
Skills and Qualifications
The strongest candidates for this role will have the following skills and qualifications:
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience; a background in education and nonprofit fundraising and/or talent is preferred
- Exceptionally strong communications skills (e.g., listening, writing, speaking and presenting); able to understand the needs of distinct audiences and craft uniquely tailored messages
- Rigorous research and analytical skills with proven ability to gather and evaluate large volumes of qualitative and quantitative data, identify patterns and core issues, and use data to convince others to take recommended actions
- A strong leader and team-player; able to collaborate with, and lead through influence and relationships, a wide range of people with various levels of seniority
- Proven ability to use outstanding interpersonal and communication skills to motivate and influence people to take a desired action
- Demonstrated success building institutional relationships that require securing buy-in from diverse decision-makers and influencers, and leveraging the specialized expertise of your team
- Demonstrated success managing a large number of early- through late-stage opportunities simultaneously
- Comfort analyzing data and using databases; Salesforce proficiency is a plus
- Knowledge of and passion for the nonprofit sector as evidenced by academic, professional and/or volunteering experiences
- Compelling interest in leadership, management, talent and organizational development as evidenced by professional or academic experiences
- Experience hiring or managing employees/volunteers is a plus (as is having professional networks in the field of education)
- Highly organized, with strong ability to work independently and remotely with minimal direction
- A history of professional excellence in increasingly demanding circumstances
- Outstanding academic record with BA/BS degree in liberal arts, business, or similar focus
Pay and Perks
We offer competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, an FSA, and 401K plan. We provide a flexible vacation, allowing employees the time off they need as long they reach their goals, and our office is shut down for a week at the end of the calendar year. We provide a technology stipend to purchase the computer of your choice. One of our biggest perks is the option to work from home or in office, with flexible hours.
If your passion and professional experiences make you a great fit for this role, please apply using the following link: tinyurl.com/AchieveMission-ADD. No phone calls please.
AchieveMission actively recruits team members from diverse backgrounds and with diverse perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals applying for jobs are considered without regard to age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed.
AchieveMission has retained KLB Consulting to lead their Associate Director, Development search. KLB Consulting is an executive search consultancy that helps find qualified leaders for nonprofit organizations.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with