New York, NY
NoVo Foundation acts from the original meaning of philanthropy: the love of humanity. The Foundation is dedicated to catalyzing a global social transformation away from current cultures of domination and their reliance on hierarchy, violence and the subordination of girls and women.
NoVo believes a new code of behavior is possible, where we are all linked and not ranked. We envision a balanced world that’s governed by principles of mutual respect, collaboration and civic participation, and that our contribution is to help create the conditions for that new code to arise, and inspire others to join them. We seek pivot points in society – such as adolescent girls and local economies – where support and resources can have long-lasting and wide-ranging positive impact. We see violence against girls and women as a fundamental enforcer of oppression, and work to eradicate its presence.
The scale of these ambitions guides our investment strategies. Ours is both risk capital and patient capital; experimentation and new thinking are critical paths forward. Seeing the world as it is, and as it could be, inspires our voice. Through all of our activities we try to illuminate the possibility of a new paradigm, gather evidence of its existence and establish pathways for its manifestation. As our website states, we “are humbled and honored to contribute to building a world based on peace, compassion, justice and love.”
Jennifer and Peter Buffett are the co-presidents of the Foundation and have articulated the vision and values that guide its work.
For further details about the mission and vision of the NoVo Foundation please visit www.novofoundation.org.
The Executive Assistant reports directly to the Special Assistant, provides high-level support to the Executive Director, works closely with other Foundation staff, and manages special projects as needed.
In support of the Executive Director, the Assistant will:
- Complete a broad variety of high-level administrative tasks for the Executive Director including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments and coordinating with others’ calendars as needed; arranging travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for meetings and travel;
- Assist the Executive Director in meeting and presentation preparation and follow-up, including researching related information as needed;
- Develop and maintain filing system for the Executive Director’s office;
- Coordinate special events and meeting logistics for Executive Director; including booking travel, accommodations, and other related preparation and event planning, in collaboration with other foundation staff and partners;
- Collaborate with Special Assistant to keep the Executive Director informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Assist in maintaining an active list of tasks to be completed;
- Draft and proof-read correspondence, as assigned;
- Prepare expense reports and help manage the flow of operational needs including payment approvals, invoices, and contracts;
- Participate in and record notes of internal meetings and select meetings with current and prospective grantee partners;
- Provide general administrative support for the office of the Executive Director as needed, including drafting, editing, scanning, copying and filing; and
- Collaborate with Special Assistant to support the Executive Director in establishing, maintaining and managing productive relationships with important stakeholders such as fellow funders and public sector partners.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic credentials, professional background, and skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the skills and/or knowledge that would benefit the Foundation’s grantmaking.
- Minimum two to three years of administrative experience in a fast-paced, professional office environment coordinating projects, performing complex scheduling, and writing correspondence.
- Experience preferred in a nonprofit, grant making, advocacy, or social justice environment.
- Familiarity, passion, and demonstrated commitment to advancing NoVo’s mission.
- Highly motivated, organized and detail-oriented self-starter with problem solving abilities, flexibility and resourcefulness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (in person, via e-mail, and on telephone).
- Ability to handle complex schedule management.
- Experience organizing complicated domestic and international travel and associated logistics.
- Methodical, swift, dynamic and accurate in the execution of all responsibilities.
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects while maintaining a firm grasp on individual project details.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently go above and beyond all tasks assigned to meet objectives and deliverables.
- Responsible with a deep sense of dedication, reliability and dependability. Excellent research skills.
- Comfort with quantitative data, budgets, and financial information.
- Positive and friendly disposition.
- Ability to handle confidential information with complete discretion.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and Mac applications. Experience with Salesforce and Concur a plus.
- Internal and external customer service orientation and flexibility.
- Ability to take initiative and function independently.
- Must have excellent judgment, tact, initiative, creativity and critical thinking.
Note: This description is a guide to the primary duties and functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands, and working conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and may be revised to meet the changing needs of NoVo Foundation at the sole discretion of management.
Compensation and Culture
NoVo offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a pleasant working environment. The Foundation employs a small staff and is dedicated to promoting an environment of collaboration and workplace flexibility.
NoVo deeply values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds including with regard to gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
For employment consideration, the optimal way to contact us is via e-mail. No phone calls please. All applications must include:
- Thoughtful cover letter (explaining your interest in and qualification for the position and how you became aware of this opportunity: job portal, referral, etc.)
- Salary requirements (must specify actual amount or range)
- One writing sample (between 2 and 5 pages maximum, attached in PDF format)
E-mail applications to email@example.com with subject line: Executive Assistant/YOUR NAME.
Application deadline is Monday, December 19th, 2016 at 5:00pm, PDT.