Advocates for Children of New York, Inc. (AFC) is a non-profit organization working to ensure a high-quality education for New York students who face barriers to academic success. As New York’s leading education advocacy organization, AFC supports children and youth who are at greatest risk of academic failure due to poverty, race, ethnicity, disability, homelessness, immigration status/limited English proficiency, or involvement in the child welfare or juvenile justice systems. We use uniquely integrated strategies to advance systemic reform, empower families and communities, and advocate for the educational rights of individual students.
In the past ten years, AFC doubled its budget and fundraising, with the Development team now responsible for raising about $5 million a year. The Assistant Director of Development, a newly created position, will expand the organization’s fundraising efforts. Reporting to the Director of Development, the ideal candidate is a proactive, highly motivated and experienced fundraiser with an authentic passion for AFC’s educational mission. The individual will play a leading role in driving and supporting our fundraising efforts and will work closely with the Executive Director, Board members, staff, and donors.
This is an opportunity to play a leadership role and be on the forefront of AFC’s efforts to take its fundraising to the next level. The successful candidate is both organized and creative, excited by the challenge of retooling and growing AFC’s development department. Using their experience as a successful fundraiser, this individual will lead the design and implementation of a robust and innovative fundraising strategy to expand the individual donor program and increase revenue. The Assistant Director of Development will also spearhead our donor communications strategy including social media campaigns.
This role requires a high performer who will be instrumental in developing new sources of revenue and devising and implementing plans for long-term sustainability.
- Working with the Director of Development to design and implement both an annual and multi-year development plan focused on individual giving and foundations.
- Leading the expansion of AFC’s individual donor program by creating, operationalizing, and executing a framework to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors.
- Managing a donor portfolio.
- Designing and implementing a donor-centric communications plan (to be integrated into AFC’s overall strategic communications plan) that includes the development of targeted visual and written content and use of the organization’s website and social media, as well as traditional mediums.
- Planning and managing the annual appeal.
- Participating in the engagement and stewardship of the Board.
- In collaboration with the Director of Development and consultants, planning and executing activities related to AFC’s 50th Anniversary in 2021.
- Working with the Director of Development to expand and manage AFC’s foundation and government grants portfolio. Assisting in drafting and submitting proposals and reports on occasion.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in development, with 2+ years in a leadership role preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, as well as a dedication to superior customer service.
- Exceptional judgment, professionalism and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive information and situations.
- Track record of developing and managing donor relations while identifying new prospects and soliciting new donors.
- Demonstrated superior writing and verbal skills, with an ability to inspire others about AFC.
- Experience generating donor-centric content for traditional and non-traditional communications mediums for a variety of audiences.
- Working knowledge of CRM databases, including the ability to use the database to retrieve information and generate reports. Experience using Donor Perfect a plus. Must be fully proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including managing spreadsheets in Excel.
- Grant-writing experience a plus.
Please email a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Candidates should highlight any personal or professional experience demonstrating their connection to the populations that AFC serves. Only candidates scheduled for interviews will be contacted. The position is available immediately, and resumes will be considered on a rolling basis.
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes generous benefits, including health, dental, PTO, professional development, etc.
AFC is an affirmative action employer that actively seeks to recruit and retain a diverse staff and especially encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations, gender identities or gender expressions and persons of diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
For more information on AFC, visit our website at www.advocatesforchildren.org