About the Howard Gilman Foundation:
The Howard Gilman Foundation is a private foundation that supports the performing arts in the five boroughs of New York City. Our team-based, holistic approach focuses on acknowledging, studying, and empathizing with the unique complexities and needs of non-profit performing arts organizations. This approach is informed by Gilman’s core values, which include respect for, and trust in, our applicants and grantees. Our values manifest in our processes and procedures, as well as the type of funding provided. With an annual grantmaking budget of $32 million, the Foundation is one of the largest private funders of New York City’s performing arts sector.
As part of an organizational expansion, the Foundation now seeks a Grants Assistant
to work with its current seven-person team. With guidance and support from the Director of Grants Administration, the Grants Assistant will implement Gilman’s grantmaking processes and procedures. The Foundation is simultaneously hiring for a Grants Manager.
The Howard Gilman Foundation is firmly committed to continuing to build a team with a wide range of perspectives. The Foundation strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ candidates, and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, status as a veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any statuses protected by law.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Specific duties include:
- Processing Core Grant, Discretionary Grant, and Out of Cycle Grant applications by performing due diligence, entering recommendation information, generating payments, reports, grant contracts, and award materials, and approving grants;
- Managing new applicant registrations and providing support to applicants;
- Tracking grant decisions during Staff/Docket meetings and providing relevant reports and other materials for Staff/Docket meetings;
- Sending declination and approval emails and grant contracts to applicants;
- Generating Board recommendation charts and grant indexes and compiling other materials for the Board’s review;
- Providing staff with focused support in their day-to-day work in the Fluxx grants management system;
- Working in partnership with the Director of Grants Administration and Grants
Manager on the refinement of grants management systems; and
- Providing administrative support to the Director of Grants Administration, including correspondence, scheduling, and the organization of data and fileswithin Fluxx.
- A demonstrated interest in and commitment to the Howard Gilman Foundation
mission of supporting the performing arts in New York City;
- A process-oriented approach to tasks and the ability to move through systems
with efficiency and accuracy, as well as respect for applicants and staff;
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multi-task when necessary;
- Professionalism, discretion, diplomacy, flexibility, and a good sense of humor;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy, including proofreading;
- The foresight to plan ahead and the flexibility to manage the unexpected;
- The desire to work collaboratively in a team-based environment; and
- The capacity to think creatively and the courage to express strong, vital opinions.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who:
- Have prior experience working in Fluxx or other relational databases
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary range is $55,000 - $70,000, and the final salary offer will be commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including a 403b plan with a 10% Foundation contribution, are offered.
HOW TO APPLY
Location and Hybrid Work Model:
The Howard Gilman Foundation is located in New York City. Gilman uses a hybrid work model in which in-person workdays are paired with remote workdays. On average, the Grants Assistant will work two to three days a week at the Foundation’s midtown Manhattan office, as COVID protocols permit, and the rest of the week from home. Gilman understands and respects the need for scheduling flexibility.
Send resume and cover letter to [email protected]. The application deadline is Friday, May 20th. The Foundation hopes to welcome our new Grants Assistant to the team by no later than mid-July. The position will remain open until filled, with candidate review beginning in mid-May.