REDF (The Roberts Enterprise Development Fund) is the only philanthropy in the United States that invests exclusively in some of the most effective and innovative social enterprises focused on employment across the country. In addition to making grants and loans, REDF provides specialized advisory services to help the businesses grow, and their employees thrive, while assessing and learning from the results achieved. They connect this growing community of practitioners nationwide while applying principles of private equity and social equity to invest in solutions that generate a social return on investment-social enterprises that generate revenue to reinvest in employing more people.
REDF has one mission: jobs and a better life for millions of people who want to work, but whose histories of homelessness, incarceration, mental health challenges, addiction, and limited education form barriers to getting or keeping a job.
Since 1997, REDF has invested in 168 social enterprises in 26 states. Together, these businesses have employed over 33,340 people, and earned $650 million in revenue (and counting). It’s an investment that works—generating $2.23 in benefits for every $1.00 spent.
A key goal of REDF’s 2020 strategy is to support social enterprises that employ 50,000 people nationwide. They believe that providing more people an opportunity to change their lives through employment creates a stronger and more inclusive society. REDF is looking for a seasoned fundraising leader who shares their commitment to this work.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
REDF seeks a leader with an entrepreneurial spirit who brings experience and energy to fundraising and communicating on behalf of REDF and the social enterprises we support. Someone who enjoys creating change and doing what it takes to make things happen.
The VP, Development and Marketing Communications will partner closely with the President & CEO and REDF’s Board of Directors to close the 2020 campaign raise and provide inspirational and strategic leadership to develop a new plan for REDF’s next five years that will enable REDF to continue its’ trajectory of growth and impact well into the future.
The key focus of the role will be cultivating and soliciting major gifts from individual donors while stewarding and cultivating institutional funders, and accessing public funding when it is well-aligned. In addition, the VP will support and leverage development opportunities that result from programmatic partnerships, especially with corporations.
The VP will also provide strategic direction and oversight of REDF’s marketing and communication function, ensuring that it supports the organization’s development goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop REDF’s overall fundraising strategy to help REDF reach an aggressive fundraising goal and lead implementation of annual action plans in support of the strategy.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of goals and activities relating to the identification, research, cultivation, and solicitation of prospects and donors.
- Support and contribute to marketing and communications planning to align objectives with those of development, and other strategic objectives.
- Stay informed and up-to-date on REDF’s programs and understand how to make program work relevant to donors’ interests.
- Conceive, plan and execute fundraising strategies that achieve and exceed revenue expectations.
- Evaluate and determine giving trends of individual donors and build a strong pipeline to acquire, retain and upgrade major donors including higher touch engagement with Chairman’s Circle Donors.
- Identify new prospects and work with other staff and Board members to cultivate and solicit new donors and explore new partnerships.
- Oversee the identification of foundation and government prospects; cultivate and steward relationships to secure multi-year gifts.
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing and Communications to develop a marketing and communications plan to increase financial resources and the visibility of REDF and the social enterprise field.
- Maintain and build good public relations with donors, prospects and the community at-large.
- Work to enhance the organization’s visibility and public image while fostering positive external relations.
- Provide motivational leadership to an enthusiastic team, including coaching, professional development, and performance management to foster a culture of continuous learning.
- Manage and/or participate in relevant committees and sub-committees of the Board of Directors.
- Develop and manage the fundraising budget and partner with the Director, Marketing and Communications to develop the marketing and communications budget.
- Set clear priorities and metrics for program success, and measure progress with a focus on ROI.
- Incorporate REDF’s support for diversity, equity and inclusion, and a ‘growth mindset’ into internal and external strategies, team management, and all other initiatives.
QUALIFICATIONS/SPECIFIC SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex issues effectively and build relationships with external and internal stakeholders.
- Deep passion and commitment to REDF’s vision and mission
- Significant track record (12 years plus) of raising multi-million-dollar gifts/investments for non-profit or for-profit organizations.
- Several years’ experience building, developing and retaining strong relationships with donors and board members. A collaborative and communicative work-style that translates into strong results with donors as well as internal partners.
- Demonstrated understanding of current trends and best practices in annual fundraising and direct marketing.
- Knowledge and expertise in effectively using technology and social media for communicating with stakeholders and increasing visibility and funding.
- Leadership, management and organizational skills that focus on reaching goals and objectives within an agreed upon timeline.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and fluency with for-profit/non-profit customer relationship management software (Salesforce preferred).
- Must be available for local, state, and national travel as required.
The VP will embody the following characteristics and qualities:
- Excellent and intuitive verbal and written communicator: a leader and bridge-builder who communicates effectively with diverse audiences and manages diverse viewpoints in a professional and compelling manner.
- Results oriented and resourceful along with the drive to be proactive, strategic, and operational in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Warm, supportive, productive professional with a “roll your sleeves up style”.
- Confident with the ability to make and delegate decisions as needed, work well under pressure, and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities. Good judgment and consensus-building skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a Master’s degree preferred in marketing/business or a related field (experience may substitute for education).
An attractive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidate.
Please submit resumes and letters of interest to:
Tarek Azzani / firstname.lastname@example.org
Azzani Search Consultants
1 Market, Spear Tower, Suite 3600
San Francisco, CA 94105
REDF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of equal treatment and opportunity in every aspect of its relations with staff members and prospective employees and will not discriminate against applicants for employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation. REDF encourages employment applications from people who are representative of the culturally and ethnically diverse communities REDF serves. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, REDF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.