Hopelab is a social innovation lab focused on designing science-based technologies to improve the health and well-being of teens and young adults.
Do your best work here.
At Hopelab, we’re united by our passion for improving the health and happiness of teens and young adults. We’re tackling some gnarly challenges: from supporting at-risk young moms, to boosting the resilience in LGBTQAI+ young people, to reducing loneliness in college students. We achieve these outcomes by creating tech solutions based on rigorous science, co-created with young people, and scaled through partnerships.
The Position: VP of Marketing and Communications
Hopelab is seeking a VP of Marketing and Communications to develop bold and effective strategies to advance our mission and creatively articulate Hopelab’s work in compelling ways. Over the past three years, Hopelab has made great strides in creating and bringing to market science-based tech products that address challenges in adolescent and young adult health and well-being. To capitalize on our momentum, the incoming VP will be responsible for developing and executing on an innovative strategic communications plan and brand positioning. This includes the opportunity to reevaluate our brand; website; product marketing approaches; PR, event, and social strategies, and more.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- Are you a marketing leader capable of creating an inspiring vision and articulating that vision to key internal and external stakeholders?
- Do you enjoy cultivating and collaborating with networks of influencers, thought leaders, and partners to amplify your work?
- Are you entrepreneurial; thriving in environments that call for a flexible yet decisive work style?
- Are you an inclusive, empathetic listener; emotionally intelligent; and a passionate, compelling communicator?
- Are you deeply curious about science, human-centered design, and the lives and experiences of diverse young people?
- Do you have experience in branding, product marketing, new product development, and/or communications, especially in emerging media, markets and technologies?
- Are you an innovator - not just willing to use “tried and true” approaches but interested in reaching and engaging audiences in creative ways?
- Are you result-oriented, easily moving from the 1,000 foot to the 1 foot view, executing both strategic and executional projects with finesse and delight?
The VP of Marketing and Communications reports to Hopelab’s President and CEO, serves on our Executive Team, and manages a small but mighty team of marketing and communications professionals. The VP determines and leads the strategic direction for the organization’s marketing and communication functions overseeing and guiding partner marketing, creative, and communication strategy. The VP will also join a community-of-practice comprising the senior Marketing and Communications staff from across The Omidyar Group.
At its core, the successful VP of Marketing and Communications does the following:
- Delivers all-around marketing and communications excellence – The VP develops and executes highly creative marketing and communications strategies that enhance our brand and advance our mission.
- Tells compelling stories – Using a variety of media, the VP brilliantly communicates to a range of audiences the many stories Hopelab has to tell: our mission, impact, products, innovation process, research findings, and the stories of the young people we serve.
- Collaborates across the organization and beyond – The VP co-creates campaigns and marketing materials in deep collaboration with Hopelab program staff and external partners.
- Leverages networks – The VP brings a strong personal network and cultivates and effectively taps into networks of influencers, thought leaders, collaborators, and partners.
- Rolls up their sleeves – While a true leader, this person is also excited to create, write, and build alongside their team and the rest of the Hopelab staff.
The VP of Marketing and Communications will have the following Required Experience and Abilities:
- Demonstrated success serving in a Marketing and Communications leadership role.
- Outstanding storytelling, writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing multiple communications strategies and public relations campaigns.
- A track record of defining, positioning, differentiating, and building strong brands.
- Experience managing outside PR and creative marketing agencies.
- Experience with the creation, placement, and leveraging of original content. Able to quickly compose and edit creative and business-oriented content with high standards on deadline.
- Experience in the fields of science, health, technology, youth, and/or social innovation, is highly desirable.
- Passionate about creating solutions for positive social impact with teens and young adults.
Curious? Then please apply!
We are partnering with Walker and Associates Consulting - a strategic management consulting and search firm located in the Bay Area - to facilitate this search. To apply, email a cover letter, resume and list of three references (candidates will be notified in advance of any outreach to your references) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 5:00 p.m. PST on Friday, May 29, 2020. Use the subject line: VP of Marketing and Communications. Submission via one combined PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. Resume review begins immediately.
Questions or Nominations? Contact Jeannine Walker, Executive Vice President, at email@example.com.