California Western School of Law (CWSL) is seeking applications for the Vice President of Institutional Advancement. This position is a senior leadership position responsible for the strategy and execution of all programs aimed at the understanding and support of California Western School of Law. The position plays a crucial role in the implementation of the mission and long-term goals of the law school, including strategic brand management, development, marketing and public relations, and alumni affairs. The Vice President is also responsible for government relations and public affairs relating to the law school and legal education in general. The Vice President is also the principal staff member supporting the Board of Trustees and provides information to the Board and responds to Board inquiries, along with the President and Dean.
- Establish the CWSL brand and drive differentiation
- Supervise market testing of the brand.
- Execute a sustained brand campaign locally and digitally.
- Translate the brand into compelling marketing campaigns to attract future students.
- Create a marketing effort that drives employer preference for CWSL graduates.
- Increase alumni pride and affiliation through digital engagement and personal experiences.
- Lead CWSL’s development strategy and execution, including the centennial campaign
- Continue to improve systems and modernize digital practices for alumni engagement and fundraising.
- Build alumni participation and engagement, including participation in philanthropy.
- Prepare for and lead the law school’s centennial campaign, including helping to develop a culture of philanthropy among the law school’s alumni.
- Drive the overhaul of CWSL’s digital presence
- Direct the development of a content-rich and compelling web experience for primary constituents.
- Supervise the ongoing development of content consistent with the brand and differentiating the law school.
- Engage constituents through digital marketing and social strategies.
- Continue to modernize data-driven activities as CWSL continues to integrate its ERP system.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s or other advanced academic degree strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in advancement, alumni relations, marketing, and communications
- Minimum of 8 years in a high-level administrative position including significant strategic and managerial responsibilities demonstrating strong leadership skills
- Experience in budget management required
- Leadership experience in a major capital campaign preferred
- Successful fundraising experience, including (but not limited to) managing and analyzing donor relations processes and alumni/donor databases, annual fund, planned giving, major and principal gifts required
- Proven track record of personally identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major and planned gift prospects.
- Brand and marketing experience with emphasis on content marketing and digital marketing strategies that differentiate an institution.
- Experience in higher education environment preferred
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Established in 1924, California Western School of Law is an ABA accredited, non-profit law school. Our downtown campus is in the center of San Diego’s legal and cultural communities. We are committed to using the law to solve human and societal problems.
Click the link below to complete an application through the CWSL Career Center website.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and a resume to be considered for the position.
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Established in 1924, CWSL is an ABA accredited and AALS member, non-profit law school located in downtown San Diego, California. CWSL has the distinction of being San Diego’s oldest law school. CWSL is the recipient of numerous community service awards, including the State Bar of California President’s Pro Bono Service Award, and the federal government’s President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll. The law school is also home to numerous outstanding programs, including the California Innocence Project, Community Law Project, and New Media Rights Program. The faculty are dedicated to teaching, research, and service to the community. Detailed information is available at https://www.cwsl.edu/
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. The law school offers competitive benefits, including 403(b) and flexible spending plans.
The law school is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to affirmative action and to excellence through diversity. The law school provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities upon request.