Democracy Fund is a foundation working to defend American democracy and challenge it to be more open and just. Created by eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, Democracy Fund has made more than $150 million in grants to support free and fair elections, a vibrant and diverse public square, effective and accountable government, and a just and inclusive society. In addition to grantmaking, Democracy Fund advocates for better solutions and works with partners to grow philanthropic support for our democracy. To learn more, visit www.democracyfund.org.
The Team Coordinator provides high-level administrative and program support to Democracy Fund’s Governance team. The Team Coordinator is a systems thinker, who sits as the hub of the team, connecting and working with every part of our program and with external audiences like grantees and partners to support open communications, smooth collaboration, and excellence in our grantmaking. We will look to the Team Coordinator to help us design and manage internal team processes, coordinate meetings and events, support grantees, and provide administrative and coordination support of key tasks for the team and across the organization. This role reports to the Governance Program Director.
We are looking for someone who loves working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment, and brings a keen attention to detail. The successful candidate will be a resourceful, highly collaborative team player who possesses strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and who excels at managing a realistic balance among multiple priorities. Able to work independently on projects from conception to completion, the ideal candidate will enjoy meeting deadlines, designing and refining processes to make them run smoothly, and enhancing internal communication.
The Coordinator’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS
- Help ensure clear communications across the Governance team and between the team and the broader organization.
- Track, manage, and follow up on existing and incoming external contacts with professionalism, cultivating ongoing relationships as needed.
- Provide support for Democracy Fund’s sponsorships, including managing sponsorship contracts, and planning and preparing communications materials.
- Manage inventory of team communications materials.
OPERATIONAL SYSTEMS AND PROCESSES
- Design and facilitate core operational systems and processes to help the team run smoothly.
- Work with Democracy Fund staff and consultants to manage contract administration, expenses, and invoices.
- Support team-wide budgeting processes such as annual planning, tracking spending, and regular reforecasting.
- Manage and organize team data, including contacts, files, grantee and evaluation data. Use discretion and good judgment when managing documents with confidential information.
- Actively work to support the success of other members of the entire Democracy Fund team and cultivate an organizational culture that is highly collaborative, positive, and productive.
EVENTS AND MEETINGS
- For team meetings: assure proper preparation and communication across the team by working with staff to ensure compilation of relevant background information, taking notes, and supporting follow-up actions.
- Support team-wide scheduling for regular team meetings and occasional team events.
- Manage scheduling for program director and occasionally for individual team members.
- Manage logistics and coordinate with partners for grantee and field-building events in support of our programs and strategies, including grantee gatherings, partner funder events, public panels, and receptions.
- Contribute to due diligence and administration of grantmaking across the team.
- Support management of the Governance Program’s grant pipeline, tracking deadlines, and due dates for reports and payments.
- Support recurring grantee meetings, including scheduling, note taking, and sharing information with team and organization when relevant.
- Support grantee communications including events, newsletters, announcements, etc.
- Collaborate with all staff across the Governance team to support activities aimed at empowering and strengthening Congress, promoting more constructive politics, and furthering government accountability, transparency, and oversight.
- Serve as a team player with the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively.
- Work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Work to develop and support strong cross-organizational connections with other administrative staff and the Operations team to build and refine systems.
- Contribute to a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, and transparency and that drives towards impact through continuous improvement and learning.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Deep passion for strengthening American democracy.
- 3-5 years of experience supporting a high-performing team or senior level executive management, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Proven track record of managing complex and competing deadlines, and the ability to exercise good judgement prioritizing tasks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and staff events.
- Superb interpersonal skills and proven ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, and external partners who bring a diversity of perspectives and lived experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to deliver clear, concise, and accurate written work products.
- Takes initiative to solve problems and displays excellent judgement during difficult situations. Excellent prioritization and time management skills with demonstrated success supporting an organization’s executives.
- Resourceful team player who works well independently and in collaboration with others.
- Trusted professional with proven experience handling confidential information with discretion, adaptable to various competing demands, and naturally seeks the highest level of customer service and response.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adaptable in working in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office. Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Salesforce web platforms preferred.
- Experience managing contracts and/or relationships with outside partners or vendors is a plus.
- Experience preparing or managing budgets and tracking expenses is a plus.
- Associate/Bachelors degree or relevant experience.
- The position will eventually be based in Washington, DC but will begin remotely due to the ongoing pandemic.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume. Applications submitted without a cover letter or lacking the desired number of years of experience will not be considered. Take this as a chance to tell us about yourself and why you're interested in joining our team. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.