You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Join us and help one of the fastest growing nonprofit organizations with its accounting operations and financial controls. We are looking for an energetic and organized self-starter with strong financial analysis skills and attention to detail who is looking to use their skills to make a real impact. You will be responsible for the full-cycle accounting procedures for several nonprofit projects for our clients. The right candidate must have a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting practices and must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment.
General Accounting Responsibilities
- Daily review of incoming funds and bank activity combined with management of the timely, accurate and complete recordation of revenue and corresponding management fees in GP made within the weekly revenue schedule
- Monthly review and recordation of revenue accrual activity – exchanges vs. contributions, conditional vs. unconditional, and restricted vs. unrestricted – to ensure accuracy and compliance with annual reporting requirements
- Work closely with client services team to ensure client service standards are met
- Record journal entries for assigned client programs, projects and sub-projects
- Perform routine GL account reconciliations as part of monthly closing procedures for all assigned programs and projects
- Compile 1099 reporting records to comply with appropriate IRS regulations for the managed organizations
- Record monthly interest allocations and update interest trackers to accurately reflect current interest-tracking grant activity across all MNPOs
- Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual program and project financial reports for internal reporting requests
- Manage monthly issuance of donor tax acknowledgement letters where applicable
- Manage associates assigned to AR operations and other projects as assigned
- Train team and direct reporting staff on all AR processes and deadlines to ensure successful monthly and annual close
- Work directly with Director of Finance and Senior Director regarding AR associate personnel decisions
- Assist with research and implementation of new and improved technologies
- Assist in preparation of schedules to support financial audits and preparation of Form 990 and other tax/regulatory returns
- Act as backup to other staff on the MO Finance team
- Assist management with special projects
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three or more years of relevant professional experience maintaining books with non-profit organizations
- Proficiency with accounting software and Excel spreadsheets
- Experience with full-cycle GL and AP accounting processes
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to communicate complex financial matters to non-financial personnel
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
Other Highly Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management or consulting
- Degree in accounting or finance
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics
- Experience managing federal grants/contracts
- Experience with lobbying rules and regulations
Our Core Competencies:
- Ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective
- The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
- A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
- The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs.
- The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
- The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning, including a willingness to request feedback and incorporate it to improve individual performance and to seek out and participate in career-relevant learning activities
- The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and
networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online here. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with