Pacific Foundation Services, LLC (PFS) is a professional services firm that manages 30 separate and independent family foundations. We provide whatever a foundation needs to operate optimally, including strategic advice, board support, grantmaking programs, compliance, financial management and a physical home. With a current staff of 30, we value competence and camaraderie and work together to make the most of our collective experience. We thrive on collaboration and share our talents to provide top-level service to our clients.
We are looking for a highly skilled administrative professional to join the team with executive and program staff. This position will focus on Sunlight Giving, a family foundation that supports local and national organizations that provide basic services to low-income families with children ages 0-5, and several related philanthropic entities. As the lead for all grants management, the Senior Grants Manager is responsible for initiating, designing, implementing and monitoring workflow processes and procedures for grantmaking, including the application, review, meeting and award activities for the entities. The Senior Grants Manager provides supervision and training to new grants managers and supervises interns in the grants management area. The Senior Grants Manager works closely with grantees, Board members, program officers, grantees and outside vendors to ensure the smooth operation of each entity. The position is full-time (37.5 hours per week), nonexempt, and reports to the Vice President of Administration.
- Participate in strategic planning for affiliated entities with senior staff and program team;
- Ensure operations, grantmaking policies and procedures and workflow are integrated across all entities;
- Work across teams to manage the global processes of the affiliated entities and their work with vendors, contractors, grantees;
- Analyze applicant and foundation grantmaking histories and prepare charts and reports for board members, program staff, and outside organizations (e.g. Foundation Center) as needed; and
- Oversee all aspects of grants management including initiating, developing, implementing, and sustaining policies and procedures that ensure effective and efficient grantmaking activities;
- In collaboration with program team, develop funding applications and coordinate open application screening process;
- Develop foundation calendars and timelines, including meeting schedules, application submission deadlines, and internal deadlines;
- Provide technical support to applicants, collect grantee feedback, make recommendations and implement changes as needed to ensure a smooth and accessible application process;
- Create and maintain physical and electronic files;
- Participate in Grants Management team meetings and professional development opportunities to stay up-to-date on developments in the field and compliance requirements.
Communication and Coordination
- Maintain website, including coordinating contractors and ensuring content is current and consistently updated (e.g., grants lists, blogposts, application information);
- With Managing Director, coordinate planning meetings and team retreats, including meeting content, agendas and logistics.
- Coordinate grantmaking tasks between program, finance and other administrative staff so that all foundation activities are smoothly implemented;
- Coordinate communication among grantees, program officers, and board members, including responding to mail, email and telephone inquiries;
- Take meeting minutes;
- Look for and implement opportunities for automation and increased efficiencies in all affiliated entities’ activities;
- Technical support including managing Apple software and hardware inventory and tech support tickets; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Attributes Needed
- BA/BS or equivalent experience;
- Minimum of five years’ substantive administrative and operational experience;
- At least three years’ experience in philanthropy and/or the nonprofit sector;
- Demonstrated experience in formulating and implementing policies and procedures;
- Demonstrated initiative, sound judgment, and the tenacity to see tasks through to completion in an accurate and thoughtful manner;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and work independently, as well as with others, in a collaborative, often fast-paced, team environment;
- Excellent customer service skills with emphasis on respectful and tactful communications;
- Strong interpersonal skills, tolerance, flexibility, and humor;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including proofreading and copy editing;
- Demonstrated commitment to PFS values of generosity, respect, integrity, inclusion, commitment and humility;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and discretion about confidential matters.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a commitment to accuracy;
- Strong information technology skills, including proven advanced experience with Microsoft Office, project management software and database programs;
PFS has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Santa Rosa. This position will be based in the Palo Alto office, and may require infrequent travel to the San Francisco office.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $95,000
Benefits: Include medical, dental, vision, Section 125 plan, 401K retirement, Commuter Checks and more
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, salary requirements, and a resume to:
Fiona Barrett, Vice President of Administration
E-mail: [email protected]
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!
Pacific Foundation Services is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
All final candidates must provide three relevant employment references, and be able to verify the right to work in the United States.