Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) Office
The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation created in 1992 with a mission to improve the health of the people of California by making grants for health promotion, wellness education and disease prevention. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded 8,160 grants totaling more than $940 million. It is one of the state’s largest private foundations. To learn more about the Foundation, explore our website at www.CalWellness.org.
The person in this position will support the accounting, financial reporting and investment operations and analytics function of the Foundation. Other aspects of this position is administering the accounting function for investment related activity, as well as general accounting and monthly close. The preparation of investment analytics and management reports; supporting the preparation of Cal Wellness’ annual budget and forecasts, tax filings (990-PF) and quarterly financial statements will be key. This position’s essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reviews investment manager reports/statements for propriety and reconcile data to custodian and manager reports; resolves issues and/or discrepancies. Prepares journal entries for investment transactions on investment accounts.
- Monitors investment performance, prepares analysis and reports to management for multiple asset classes; monitors compliance with investment guidelines; monitors asset allocation and assists with periodic rebalancing.
- Prepares capital calls and other investment fund transfers for approval. Monitors investment accounts and verifies all fund transfers between investment accounts are properly executed and recorded.
- Provides support for investment operations, working with Custodian, investment consultants and investment managers ensuring accuracy of all documentation needed for various investment transactions; assists with preparation of investment related contracts and/or subscription agreements
- Prepares and distributes periodic financial statements and management reports and has primary responsibility for the annual financial audit and the preparation of the annual audited financial statements.
- Prepares and reviews general accounting journal entries, schedules, account analyses, reconciliations and supports monthly close.
- Reviews and analyzes all partnership K-1’s and audited financial statements for accuracy and completeness.
- Monitors and forecasts cash requirements.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Oversees the Foundation’s general insurance program including policy renewals and claim processing, if any.
- anHaPrepares analysis and reports on an ad hoc basis.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual Form 990-PF and other tax and regulatory filings.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or business or equivalent experience. MBA or CPA a plus.
- A minimum of 8 years of accounting/finance experience in financial analysis and audit. Experience with Microsoft Dynamics SL and Management Reporter (report writer) a plus, or accounting-related software systems. Experience with investment accounting a plus.
- Knowledge of accepted accounting principles, general ledger, financial analysis, investment accounting or related field.
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including advanced knowledge with Excel. Proficiency with accounting database programs.
- Possessing a strong sense of logic; and analytical, problem solving, and conceptual thinking skills with a solid understanding of complex financial data management.
- Solid planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail, accuracy, protocol and deadlines.
- Broad and strategic mindset, creative aptitude and effective use of independent judgment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to interact collaboratively with all levels of staff, external consultants and professional networks.
- Strong project management & workflow analysis skills.
- The ability to multi-task, prioritize and follow-through to effectively manage work flow and meet deadlines.
- High level of flexibility and responsiveness with the ability to shift priorities quickly and as organizational demands require.
- Ability to function and interact in a professional level capacity to sustain the mission, culture and best interests of the Foundation.
- Ability to understand and consider organizational culture and change.
- Ability to take initiative and develop solutions quickly and effectively. Interest in philanthropy and the Foundation’s mission and operations.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. The Foundation's benefit package is inclusive of medical, dental, vision and life insurance, and short- and long-term disability coverage, and offers flexible spending and 401(k) plans. A positive work environment that supports work-life balance is provided.
Email, fax or mail resume with a cover letter and salary history to:
Human Resources Department
The California Wellness Foundation
6320 Canoga Avenue, Suite 1700
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Fax: (818) 702-1999
Email: [email protected]
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.