Based in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies (MACP) was established through the generosity of Margaret A. Cargill, a granddaughter of the co-founder of Cargill, Inc. MACP encompasses two grantmaking entities, Margaret A. Cargill Foundation and Anne Ray Foundation, whose collective assets place it among the 10 largest philanthropies in the United States.
The organization’s grantmaking supports work in seven domains: Animal Welfare, Arts & Cultures, Disaster Relief & Recovery, Environment, Quality of Life, Teachers, and Legacy & Opportunity.
To provide meaningful assistance and support to society, the arts, and the environment.
The cultural aspirations of MACPS are to be humble, compassionate, respectful, honest, professional, ethical, and mindful of the importance of carrying out the philanthropic work as envisioned by Margaret A. Cargill. This is a culture where teamwork is critical, learning is ongoing, and decisions are made thoughtfully.
The Administrative Specialist is an integral part of the Human Resources team by providing administrative support for recruitment, onboarding, training and development, and benefits and compensation. The position requires continual attention to detail, understanding priorities, meeting deadlines, and the ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands. Work also requires flexibility and coordination with other team members to accomplish overall team goals.
This position is a member of the Human Resources & Administration Team, which includes employees from Human Resources, Information Technology, Project Implementation and Office & Facilities. This position is also a member of the Administrative Support Team.
Provide administrative support to the Human Resources team
- Assist with the daily schedule of Director, Human Resources & Administration; calendaring meetings, keeping appointments and meetings on time and changing schedules when necessary
- Arrange all aspects of travel for out of town meetings and conferences
- Support the recruitment process including scheduling and coordinating interviews, communicating with candidates, making travel arrangements when needed and ensuring interview days run smoothly
- Coordinate new hire orientation process and maintain onboarding materials
- Support benefits and compensation administration by entering information and running reports in HRIS system, coordinating an annual flu clinic, conducting benefit invoice reconciliations, assisting with employee communications including total reward statements and the service award program
- Maintain HR annual project timeline document and manage out of office calendar Assist in gathering documentation in response to inquiries
- Enhance organization and department effectiveness and efficiencies through identifying and owning steps to improve processes
- Manage external contacts for teams proactively, understanding who they are and keep track of periodic communication
- Prepare and process invoices and expense reports
- Sort, organize and distribute mail
Assist with preparation and management of documents and presentations, including:
- Use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint to develop and revise documents, apply templates to existing documents, create letters utilizing mail merge and format materials to align them with branding standards
- Use Microsoft Excel to create and update spreadsheets, charts, and graphs
- Use Microsoft Visio to create and update organization charts
- Compose routine letters, emails and memoranda ensuring accuracy and professionalism
- Organize and maintain inventory of department materials, as well as physical and digital files
- Save documents to the organizations’ document management systems according to organization procedures
Plan and coordinate on-site and off-site meetings including all employee meetings, team meetings and new hire gatherings:
- Manage the process of scheduling meetings, agenda development, communication with presenters and material gathering and distribution
- Make room, facility, teleconference/videoconference, meal/catering, and guest travel arrangements, as needed
- Coordinate activities and vendors before and during the meeting
- Ensure all logistical aspects of meetings run smoothly; proactively handle issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems during meetings/events
Other duties to include:
- Participate collaboratively in cross-functional teams and projects as assigned
- Provide back-up to other Administrative staff as necessary
- Other projects and duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- High School degree or equivalent required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Psychology or related field preferred
- Prior knowledge of or experience with the principles and practices of human resources preferred
- 2+ years in a Human Resources Assistant, Administrative Assistant, or related role required
- Strong working knowledge of PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook; an openness to using new technologies; prefer experience with SharePoint, Concur and/or CRM software
- Ability to interface well with internal and external business associates in a highly professional manner and to maintain the highest level of confidentiality in both internal and external relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with other team members and administrative staff
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to both prioritize tasks and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Sound judgment and decision making skills
- Interest in and ability to continuously improve processes
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with integrity
- Required to sit for long periods of time
- Extensive use of computer, keyboard and mouse
- Bend to file or retrieve documents
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Qualified candidates should apply via our online application system by visiting www.macphilanthropies.org/careers