At Caldera, we believe in the power of creativity. Caldera is a catalyst for the transformation of underserved youth through innovative, year round art and environmental programs. Our Youth Program provides students from Portland and Central Oregon with long-term mentoring that nurtures individual creativity, beginning in sixth grade and continuing into young adulthood. Caldera weaves the arts, nature, and personal expression into powerful work that ignites self-expression and allows young people to be creative changes agents in their lives and communities.
Position Title: Special Events and Partnerships Manager
Supervisor: Development & Communications Director
Full time (37.5 hrs/week) 9:00am-5:00pm, Monday–Friday
Location: Portland office, 1227 NW Davis St, Portland, OR 97209
Compensation: $50,000–$60,000 annually, exempt. Benefits include: generous paid time off, health, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement matching, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance.
Equity & Inclusion
We recognize that Caldera communities face many societal inequities. We recognize the history and ongoing impacts of racism in our country, state, and institutions. We acknowledge that we will always have room to grow as an organization and as individuals in our understanding of racism and oppression. We commit to continually examining our role in both perpetuating and combating institutional racism. We also commit to ongoing alignment of our policies and practices to advance racial equity, inclusion, and freedom of expression.
We commit to integrating equity and inclusion into all areas of our work to better serve our mission; when we do, we get closer to the world that we want for our youth. To ensure our own accountability, we will 1) seek deeper relationships with and feedback from our larger community; 2) use our Equity Plan to guide ongoing work; and 3) apply our Equity Lens to decision-making. We will also seek inspiration from artistic and cultural traditions.
Caldera is an equal opportunity employer encouraging applicants of all backgrounds and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We encourage people of color and Caldera community members to apply.
The Development & Communications team focuses our development efforts on partnering with the communities in which we work to build strong, meaningful investments in our mission. We seek to diversify our support and develop long-term relationships that will sustain our programming for years to come. As a creative organization, we believe in creative community organizing, grassroots campaigns, and partnerships and we are looking for people prepared to build new kinds of development programs to join the team.
As part of the Development & Communications team, the Special Events and Partnerships Manager is responsible for Caldera’s corporate and foundation giving programs and community partnerships, including public events, donor cultivation events/fundraisers, corporate sponsorships, and in-kind giving. Reporting
to the Development & Communications Director, this position will support Caldera’s community partnership efforts, building a strong portfolio of reliable partnerships in corporations and foundations alike and managing fundraising and community engagement events.
As a collaborative and critical member of the Development & Communications team, this position works closely with the Development & Communications Manager and manages additional event contractors/vendors, and provides overall fundraising support for the Director and Executive Director, as needed.
Events and Engagement - 45%
- Organize, produce, and manage Caldera’s annual fundraising galas and other public events, including liaising with vendors and sponsors and managing the creation of event-specific communications pieces
- Manage, coordinate, and facilitate volunteer committee meetings and logistics
- Work with Development & Communications Manager to create event-specific direct mail and email lists from the donor database (Raiser’s Edge), coordinate and track event attendance
- Create donor follow-up lists for thank you calls and emails, work with Director to create implementation plan, conduct/manage outreach/follow-up via phone and email to donors
- Oversee mailings for fundraising, donor stewardship, and cultivation
- Attend select donor meetings and play active role in donor stewardship at Caldera meetings and events
Partnerships and Sponsorships – 45%
- Cultivate and steward a portfolio of corporate and foundation sponsors/grantors
- Research and develop new partnerships and opportunities to connect with the communities in which we work
- Manage corporate sponsorship solicitation and reporting, generate, submit, and track corporate sponsorship applications and reports, update and maintain sponsorship benefits packet, solicit and track in-kind contributions for events
- Partner on various community wide events, ensuring partnerships advance Caldera's programmatic work and racial equity
- Collaborating with Youth and Arts Center Program Directors on select community partnerships
- Grants reporting in collaboration with Director
Donor Database (10%)
- Administer Raiser’s Edge donor database and gift processing system in relation to Corporate and Foundations portfolio
- Manage the processing of (in relation to Corporate and Foundations, Major Donors):
- Donor communications such as gift receipts, acknowledgements, and pledge reminders
- Customized mailing lists, email lists, and reports for department use
- EFT and credit card donations
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor and gift records
- Assist with monthly reconciliations with accounting department
- Provide up-to-date financials for board meetings and Executive Director quarterly, as needed
- Develop and maintain efficient systems for data cleansing, data entry, gift processing, prospect research, and relationship management in collaboration with Development & Communications Manager and Director
Racial Equity Work (1%)
- Participate in equity-focused all-staff meetings, retreats, and committees
- Support Caldera’s annual equity plans in their creation and implementation by giving feedback, serving on the Equity Team, and/or participating in activities
Other Duties as Apparent or Assigned
Work with the Director, Community Engagement and Outreach on other projects as assigned
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in a nonprofit organization
- Passion for Caldera’s mission, cultural and environmental justice, and racial equity
- Interest and enthusiasm for nonprofit fundraising through grassroots campaigns and storytelling
- Able to demonstrate strong proficiency in donor software program
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage a project from inception to completion within strict timelines
- Able to demonstrate leadership as well as work collaboratively on teams
- High level of capability and comfort engaging with donors, board members, and the general public
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge
- Strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications; experience using Google Drive
- Experience managing fundraising, events, and/or community relationships
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please submit your resume, a cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, highlighting experience and competencies that meet the required and preferred qualifications, and two relevant writing samples.
Materials should be sent to [email protected] by February 26 at 5:00 pm. No phone calls, please.