Who We Are
The de Beaumont Foundation advances policy, builds partnerships, and strengthens public health to create communities where people can achieve their best possible health. Our work centers around three main priority areas:
- Policy: We advance policies that improve community health, so that current and future generations can benefit from changes enacted by today’s leaders.
- Partnerships: We build partnerships, often among unlikely allies, so that leaders can make decisions that achieve their shared goal of creating healthier communities.
- People: We create practical solutions that strengthen the public health system and workforce, so that professionals are equipped to make their communities healthier.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Special Assistant will have an unparalleled opportunity to learnfirsthand what it takes to lead and manage a fast paced, big-thinking, mission-driven organization. This unique role directly supports and influences the work of one of the nation’s leading health philanthropies.
Position Overview - What You'll Do
The Special Assistant to the CEO works closely with the de Beaumont Foundation’s President and CEO and serves as an extension and representative of that office. An effective Special Assistant will make the organization better, faster, stronger, and more efficient by creating capacity and helping the CEO focus on critical issues. The Special Assistant is responsible for supporting the CEO through a combination of project management, writing, editing, and research.
The individual in this role will have a wide range of responsibilities and must be able to prioritize effectively, act quickly, maintain confidentiality, and bring others along. de Beaumont strongly believes that the spirit in which we do our work is as important as the work itself. We pride ourselves on excellence, innovation, fostering collaboration between groups that might not otherwise interact, and a willingness to have fun with our work. A successful candidate for this position will share these values.
Maximize CEO’s time and ensure alignment with organizational priorities
- Serve as right hand to the CEO to execute and support strategic priorities and work across teams to drive results throughout the Foundation
- Create and continuously update a writing schedule and action list for the CEO, including sourcing priorities from the program and leadership teams as well
- Maintain an understanding of projects, timelines, deliverables, and due dates and work with the CEO to ensure timely completion of all tasks
- Work closely with the leadership team to ensure decisions are being made in a timely manner
- Maintain an understanding of Foundation-wide priorities and the activities necessary to achieve them
Manage key internal and external meetings and events
- Prepare for, and follow up on, internal and external meetings. When needed, participate directly in meetings and follow up with the relevant parties
- Assist the CEO and members of the leadership team with information-gathering, communication, developing and monitoring event plans, and tracking responsibilities, and other logistics that lead to event success
- Convene the weekly leadership team meeting, which includes soliciting items for review/discussion, preparing an agenda, facilitating the meeting, and identifying and following up on action items
Communicate with high stakes constituents
- Draft and edit memos, emails, and other correspondence for the CEO and others as needed, including meeting reports and minutes
- Conduct research, create PowerPoint Presentations, and draft speeches and talking points for external and internal presentations and speaking engagements
- Draft and co-author blogs, commentaries, and peer reviewed articles
- Attend meetings with the CEO or on behalf of the CEO/Foundation maintaining a high level of professionalism
Execute special projects
- Manage multiple, simultaneous special projects assigned by the CEO
- Lead the Foundation’s book publishing activities including author outreach and overall project management
- Proactively identify ways to improve the efficiency and efficacy of the leadership team
- Anticipate needs from the leadership team and identify opportunities to create processes and systems to streamline management
Maintain alignment between program team and leadership team
- Support the program team lead in creating a reliable and regular flow of information between the program arm and the senior team
- Contribute to projects and programming as needed, especially where they connect to the CEO’s priorities
- Participate in program team meetings and track follow up, noting where items need to be brought to the senior team
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you will excel in these areas:
- Ownership: You care deeply about doing what it takes to facilitate results, including paying attention to even small details, managing your own projects (or pieces of bigger ones), driving work forward with a sense of urgency, anticipating problems, and course-correcting when needed. You are a self-starter and have a strong ability to execute and make swift decisions when necessary.
- Team player: You are eager to use your role to advance de Beaumont’s mission, and look for ways to help beyond your own core responsibilities. You are ready and willing to participate in all-hands-on-deck projects, which frequently come up. No job is too small for anyone on our team and your attitude reflects that. Flexibility is key.
- Critical thinking skills: You know how to quickly process information and draw out the key points of various publications/documents to summarize and share with the CEO or leadership team on a host of public health related issues.
- Relationship management: You have a good sense of how to manage internal relationships (i.e. with senior leadership) and grow external ones. You know how to handle confidential information, use discretion around what information you share both internally and externally, and routinely apply good judgment as to when to involve the CEO in decision-making.
- Attention to detail: You consistently ensure materials and communications are accurate (both content and grammar), precise, and completed on time.
- Passion: You have a strong commitment to public health and the mission and values of de Beaumont.
- One to five years of professional experience and a Master’s degree are required
- Ability to handle a wide variety of responsibilities, at varying levels of complexity, in a hands-on manner, with consistent, high quality results
- Strong organization and project management skills—ability to see the big picture, manage small details, and create and maintain systems that enhance organizational efficiency
- Strong understanding of confidentiality and the ability to handle sensitive information appropriately
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with multiple stakeholders—optimistic, thoughtful, curious, and personable
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when appropriate
- Strong work ethic and commitment to high standards of excellence coupled with an enthusiastic approach to work
- Must have proficiency using Microsoft Office/Google Docs (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of data, scientific writing, epidemiology is preferred
- The de Beaumont team is collaborative, passionate, and deeply committed to creating bold solutions for healthier communities.
- This position is full-time and based in downtown Bethesda, Md., just outside of Washington, D.C. Moderate travel is required.
- We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and a collegial work environment.
- Candidates should send cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to Tracey Adjei (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The de Beaumont Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Employment opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.