Beneficial State Foundation
Classification: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt-level position
Compensation: Competitive salary, depends on experience and education
Benefits: Medical, Dental, & Vision, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Volunteer hours, Donation match
If you believe that banks have the ability and responsibility to create meaningful positive social and environmental impact and want to show how, then this might be the position for you!
About Beneficial State Bank and Foundation
Headquartered in Oakland, Beneficial State Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that aspires to build and advance a beneficial banking model that transforms the banking industry. In partnership with our communities and allies, we accelerate the transformation by attracting human, financial, intellectual and capital resources to the “beneficial banking” movement.
Our vision is of a banking industry that is fair to the person with the least bargaining power; provides access to financial services for all our communities, particularly the traditionally underserved; results in the long-term prosperity of responsible consumers; promotes financial system stability; and contributes to the sustainability of the environmental commons. We call this vision Beneficial Banking.
The Foundation owns the economic interests of Beneficial State Bank, an FDIC-insured Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) founded with a triple bottom-line focus on social justice, environmental resilience and economic sustainability. The Bank is a state chartered, federally regulated, for profit banking organization that offers fair and transparent banking services. Beneficial State Bank has been a certified B Corporation since 2013, and has been honored as “Best for the World,” a designation reserved for the top 10% of all B Corps based on environmental, community and worker impact.
Social, Economic and Environmental Impact Analyst: Position Overview
Beneficial State Foundation seeks a mission-driven, analytical and detailed-oriented individual to be a key part of a small but mighty social and environmental impact team at Beneficial State Foundation. This person will help ensure that Beneficial is effectively evaluating the social and environmental outcomes of its services and activities to fulfill its mission goals, and is using key findings to increase the impact of its efforts. This individual will also play a lead role in executing CDFI grant applications and reporting. This position reports to and works closely with the Chief Impact Officer of the foundation to continually evolve, measure and help manage the impact of Beneficial State Bank.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with data from a variety of sources to answer questions, solve problems and report on the impact of financial products and services This person will also enjoy research, writing and editing, is a disciplined project manager, collaborative, and curious, and enjoys being part of a dynamic team of very intelligent and hardworking people that are passionate about social change.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Help lead and support continually evolving social and environmental impact goals and metrics
- Help develop and implement methods (software tools, processes, team training) to ensure consistent, high-quality data collection, management, analysis and reporting.
- Work with various teams to integrate impact reporting with other reporting efforts.
- Conduct research of local demographics, community needs and other relevant data to support social and environmental impact
- Collect, process and analyze a variety of quantitative and qualitative data from internal Bank databases.
- Conduct regular analysis of impact and share findings with department teams to inform strategy and identify opportunities.
- Review loans, products and services for social and environmental impact
- Create and provide impact reports and presentations
- Lead or assist with annual impact report and other reporting documents
- Lead or help update impact website each month, and revamp occasionally
- Facilitate impact conversations among staff, executive leadership and board
- Present impact data to executive staff, executive leadership and board
- Develop memoranda and reports summarizing key findings and recommendations
- Write CDFI grant proposals and reports based on social impact and other bank data
- Responsible for following trends, research and new developments in the areas of impact investing and social finance to ensure that data collection and reporting efforts conform to industry best practices.
- Participate in conferences, committees and other key conversations to continually develop, lead, and share social and environmental impact practices and models locally and globally
- Learn and use basic computer programming / code to write and create reports from bank data
- Document procedures as needed to facilitate long-term knowledge transfer.
- Actively participate on Beneficial State green team to execute internal sustainability initiatives
- Provide day-of-event assistance with Beneficial State’s annual Oakland signature event, the Oakland Indie Awards
- Provide finance details on grant awards, meet with staff and auditors to review grant compliance, provide loans analysis
- Manage social and environmental impact interns as needed
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Education – MBA preferred, but may consider a Master’s Degree in related field or exceptional undergraduate
- Project management
- Self starter, self motivated
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excel – very comfortable manipulating data in Excel
- Importing, exporting, converting data in various formats
- Experience with Salesforce
- Simple analysis and presentation of data through charts, graphs, tables
- Writing and editing– grant proposals and reports
- Experience with CDFI grant and report writing
- Experience with and understanding of banking and bank financials
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Driven and self-motivated to produce quality work in a fast paced environment.
- Tact, diplomacy, good judgment, discretion and ability to make sound decisions with confidential and personal information.
- Works independently with little supervision, asks questions when instructions aren’t clear.
- Great sense of humor a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please prepare a thoughtful cover letter and submit along with your resume through the following link:
Beneficial State Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
 “CDFI” is a US Treasury Designation certifying that the bank has a primary mission of community development and provides credit and financial services to underserved markets and populations.