About Boston Rescue Mission
Since 1899, the Boston Rescue Mission (BRM) has focused on preventing and ending homelessness and in guiding people from a place of need to a place of self-sufficiency. Located in the heart of downtown Boston, BRM serves women and men who are homeless and at risk of homelessness 365 days a year. People in crisis, including veterans, come to the Mission to receive hearty meals, safe shelter beds, and life-transforming services. Our Residential Recovery programs focus on treating the underlying causes of homelessness with individualized case management, employment, and services to guide people toward permanent housing.
Our approach establishes a caring and accountable recovery environment along with job skills and related training designed to promote healthy, independent living. We are committed to helping people break their personal cycle of homelessness and over time have seen remarkable results.
Direct care and primary service delivery to the guests in the shelter including admissions, triage, bed assignments, meal coordination, hygiene assessments, and transportation coordination in the event of reached capacity. Work as a team member to provide shelter, meals and transportation to the homeless population in a timely and efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Shift set-up and preparation responsibilities including checking resources, rosters, bed sheets, cot set-up, towels, gloves, universal precaution supplies, meal/ pastry case stocked.
- Facilitate admission of guests, documenting name, date of birth, social security number whenever possible.
- Complete safety checks through each floor of the building with flashlight to provide oversight and care to any needs guests may have through the night.
- Greet, direct and refer guests from the points of engagement at the time of admission or at a point of interaction.
- Including random searches of guest’s belongings and garments for contraband, as well as, redirecting disputes, conflict resolution and maintaining a safe and secure environment for all staff and guests.
- Assist guests with personal hygiene needs on an as needed basis.
- Encourage optimal communication via verbal, written and voice mail forums with all team members and the Vice President of Programs.
- Employ the least restrictive means of intervention in all shelter interventions with guests in order to provide a clear and welcoming environment for the guests we serve.
- Utilize available case management staff to assist with case management needs of guests on an as needed basis.
- Provide assistance to Health Care For The Homeless staff in addressing medical needs of guests.
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Programs
Time requirements: Part-time
How to Apply
Email a resume to Mike Way: email@example.com. Please put in the subject line: Shelter Staff.
Boston Rescue Mission is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.