Rockwood supports leaders to transform themselves, their communities, and the world towards equity, liberation, and sustainability for all. We do this by providing powerful and effective training to individual leaders and cohorts, thereby strengthening the organizations and movements that they represent.
Rockwood does not do business as usual. Our commitment to values influences every aspect of our organization—what we do and how we do it. Rockwood’s core values include:
- Trust and integrity
- Love, laughter, and holding each other in community
- Healing, sustainability, and self-care
With a vision of Open Access to bring transformative leadership development to new and broader audiences, Rockwood is looking for an ambitious staff member to drive revenue generation. You’ll implement partnership cultivation and business development, manage relationships with partners and funders, and supervise grant writing and administration to advance our vision.
This is an opportunity to join a non-traditional development team. Given our revenue is approximately 50% earned (fee-for-service trainings and contracts) and 50% contributed (grants and donations), the Resource team conducts business development and contracting alongside the philanthropy work of grant writing and administration. Our team focuses on relationships and high standards of excellence. We take the time to build relationships internally and externally. We also move at a fast pace and place a high value on timely responsiveness and thorough tracking of details and deadlines.
Our ideal candidate has 5-7 years of fundraising, sales, consulting, or organizing experience, and is a natural people-person. As a senior manager, you’ll supervise the Grant Writer, and report to the Director of Strategic Initiatives.
What You’ll Do
Business Development & Income Prospecting
- Manage the sales/grants cycle including identifying new prospects, qualifying prospects, making presentations, closing sales/grants, and conducting ongoing assessment and communications.
- Receive and follow-up on external inquiries for collaborating with Rockwood.
- Create and present client concept papers, proposals, and reports.
- Analyze leads and contact data, track all engagement information in Salesforce, and prepare reports.
- Stay current on trends in fundraising and philanthropy related to leadership development and other potential opportunities for Rockwood.
- Participate in a cross-functional Business Model team to analyze Rockwood’s approach and cost structure.
Relationship & Project Management
- Maintain client relationships as the primary liaison between Rockwood and clients, responding to the needs of current and new partners and funders.
- Oversee handoff to Program implementation team, once a new grant or contract has been signed.
- Collaborate with Resource, Program, and Leadership teams to manage ongoing communications, partner satisfaction, reporting, and generate opportunities for renewals.
Resource Team Collaboration
- Partner across entire organization (Programs, Operations/Finance, Resource, Communications, Leadership Team) to drive current and new fundraising and business development opportunities.
- Manage weekly and monthly Resource team meetings.
- Recruit, hire, supervise, and oversee the work of the Grant Writer/Administrator.
- Participate in other Resource team functions as needed, in a changing and flexible team environment.
Who You Are
- A people person—you’re at ease with people and in conversation, and listen intently to other’s needs and interests.
- An excellent communicator—confident and humble, and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- A self-aware and self-reflective fundraiser or salesperson—you have a passion for revenue generation and are comfortable with your own relationship to money.
- A successful implementer who produces excellent results and can move ideas into action.
- A self-motivated professional—a thorough, responsive, and reliable member of the team.
- An optimistic and positive team player, with a good sense of humor.
What You’ll Need
- 5-7 years of experience in fundraising, sales, consulting, or organizing.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate prospecting activities, sales calls, face-to-face meetings, and follow up on leads.
- Demonstrated excellence in tracking details and maintaining records. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Public-speaking and 1:1 conversation skills—ability to represent Rockwood in a variety of spaces.
- Exceptional writing skills—ability to translate the interests of potential partners into compelling and concise proposals that align with Rockwood offerings and pricing.
- Desire to work and relate to a very diverse broad spectrum of people inside and outside of Rockwood.
Please submit a letter describing your interest in this position, a brief professional writing sample that speaks to the skills required, and your resume to email@example.com. We are conducting a rolling review of all applications, and this position will remain open until filled.
The salary for this position is $80,000. Rockwood offers a 32-hour full-time Monday - Thursday workweek and a competitive benefits package. This position is located at Rockwood’s main office in downtown Oakland, CA.
Rockwood Leadership Institute is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. In accordance with applicable law, Rockwood prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local laws.
People of color, people of all gender identities, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this job description. We’re looking forward to getting to know you.