Massachusetts is home to an incredibly robust and diverse nonprofit sector. While there are almost 40,000 nonprofit organizations across the Commonwealth, we know that approximately 4,500 of these are engaged in active programming within Greater Boston and have budgets between $500,000 and $10,000,000. The Nonprofit Effectiveness (NPE) cross-cutting strategy is designed to support these organizations and leaders. We believe that a focus on advancing the 5 Elements of Nonprofit Effectiveness is a key part of achieving sustained social impact for Greater Boston. We have found that impactful, high-performing, sustainable nonprofit organizations are continually working to advance 5 Elements: 1) a commitment to racial equity, 2) strong operations, 3) effective, connected and representative leaders, 4) a learning culture, and 5) financial health. The NPE strategy works to advance these 5 Elements via aligned investments in local sector infrastructure and resources for grantees and nonprofit partners.
The Senior Program Associate, Nonprofit Effectiveness will work closely with the Associate Vice President for Programs to manage this body of work. In this position, the Senior Program Associate will serve as a thought partner for overall strategy development, will design and implement programming, support grantmaking, build and maintain internal and external relationships, conduct research, coordinate convenings and events, and handle other duties as assigned.
- Help to develop and lead implementation of various efforts to advance racial equity within Greater Boston nonprofits which will likely include: public conversations, grant support for organizations and intermediaries, technical assistance, peer learning and measurement
- Oversee grantmaking to NPE core nonprofit partners, including proposal review, due diligence, and development of funding recommendations
- Manage, implement, and measure the Anna Faith Jones and Frieda Garcia Women of Color Leadership Circle pilot program
- Prepare various written materials on a timely basis, including talking points, strategy updates, reports and other related materials
- Conduct research for strategy papers and memos and assist Associate VP in preparing documents for internal and external use
- Advance NPE strategy goals via writing, public speaking engagements and presentations
- Manage NPE budget
- Track and maintain consultant relationships and various contracts
- Coordinate select capacity-building opportunities for individual Boston Foundation grantees and partners
- Coordinate, in conjunction with other colleagues, all aspects of meetings, convenings, and other events (including coordinating attendee schedules, invitations, meeting preparation, note taking, set-up and clean-up)
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years related professional work experience
- Combination of relevant education and/or work experience will be considered
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Knowledge of nonprofit operations and/or grantmaking due diligence
- Strong command and understanding of racial equity concepts and issues within the nonprofit sector
- Experience with program design and managing multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of and commitment to the Boston Foundation’s mission
- Ability to manage, organize and coordinate simultaneous projects with multiple components
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Proactive, participative work style
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to receive and act on feedback
- Resourceful and able to work independently
- Mature interpersonal style and ability to interact well with a diverse range of people.
- Good sense of humor!
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally
All applications should be submitted online. Go to https://www.tbf.org/who-we-are/careers and select “Senior Program Associate, Nonprofit Effectiveness” to complete our online application process. Diversity candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.