The Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) works with community-level organizations that are turning the tide of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa by providing care and support to women, orphaned children, grandmothers and people living with HIV and AIDS. Since 2003, we have funded over 1400 initiatives, partnering with 300 community-based organizations in the 15 African countries hardest hit by global AIDS epidemic.
Reporting to the Director of Programmes, the Senior Programme Advisor is a leadership position at the SLF. The Senior Programme Advisor will play a key role in producing analysis in the areas of monitoring and evaluation and impact assessment, in order to inform and support the Foundation’s programme approach. The Senior Programme Advisor will be a strategic and imaginative thinker who is responsible for seeing a variety of special programme initiatives through to successful completion.
This is a full-time position and is based in our downtown Toronto offices.
Monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessment
- Strategically schedule and coordinate regular M&E visits to SLF partners in close collaboration with the Programmes Team
- Work directly with SLF Field Representatives to debrief visits and coordinate timely submission of reports
- Organize regular meetings (in-person and over the phone) with Field Representatives as needed
- Participate in the analysis and follow-up of issues raised in M&E reports as needed
- Play a critical role in the implementation and ongoing maintenance of SLF Impact Assessment Framework including overseeing appropriate software, ongoing analysis, etc, in close collaboration with the Programmes Team, the Executive Director, the Director of Policy and across the Foundation
- With the Director of Programmes, continually assess how the SLF M&E and impact assessment process can evolve to reflect the depth and scope of the overall portfolio of SLF funded organisation
- Organize substantive discussions, roundtables, and other meetings around new learning as needed
- Work in collaboration with the Senior Accountant and Programme Assistant to prepare M&E/Impact Assessment budget updates and projections
- Review and recommend for approval all Field Representative expense claims and invoices
- Strengthen mechanisms for the M&E/Impact Assessment processes to inform our internal learning process, proposal assessment, and ongoing grant making
Programme Funding and Communication
- Strategically inform and keep abreast of initiatives that receive earmarked funding across the SLF portfolio
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, Director of Programmes, and consultants (as needed) assist with the assessment of new proposals
- Assist in reviewing programme documents to ensure they reflect the values and approach of the SLF
- Support the production of donor reports and communications material as needed
- Represent the SLF at various speaking engagements and events
- In close collaboration with the Director of Programmes, help oversee a range of SLF-facilitated thematic initiatives
- A progressive and unconventional approach to philanthropy, impact assessment, and evaluation processes that recognize the expertise, capacity, and intelligence that are powering the grassroots response to HIV and AIDS in Africa.
- A minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of international development in Africa or related field, including a strong understanding of HIV and AIDS, poverty, and gender issues on the continent.
- Demonstrated initiative to take the lead on projects.
- Track record of holding positions which require strategic critical thinking and demonstrate an imaginative approach to opportunities, issues and challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to actively contribute to a positive, collaborative work environment.
- Personal commitment to the values of feminism, solidarity, mutual respect, collaboration, and social justice.
- Strong computer skills, including Excel, databases, word processing, presentation packages (Power Point), internet, and email.
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment that requires flexibility, multi-tasking, and outstanding time-management skills.
- Excellent ability to communicate with warmth, professionalism, clarity and tact via written and verbal mediums.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Solid understanding of and appreciation for the varied geography, culture, and history present within Africa.
- Those who may be open to moving and have the requisite documentation to work in Toronto already.
Those wishing to apply please send your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please note “Senior Programme Advisor” in the email subject line.