You are mission-driven and action-oriented. You love to get involved and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
We are looking for an organized self-starter to support the full-cycle payroll procedures for several nonprofit projects that the firm manages. The work is rewarding and requires a strong understanding of payroll practices. You will work closely with our clients and the Human Resource Department to provide accurate accounting and reporting. The right candidate has strong client service skills and can work well in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Responsible for coordinating with the Human Resources (“HR”) and Managed Organization Account teams on the preparation and processing of semi-monthly payroll for 600 employees
- Analyze monthly payroll related journal entries for reasonableness and anomalies regarding salary, taxes, 401(k), FSA/HRA activity, garnishments and other special payroll deductions for the master organization
- Responsible for coordination efforts between HR and account teams to ensure proper security measures are followed and maintained to protect employee personal information
- Responsible for coordinating with the HR department to reconcile all payroll and benefit providers billing invoices and accompanying underlying billing supporting schedules for the preparation/distribution of detailed reports, allocation of expenses across multiple projects and multiple nonprofit entities
- Prepare entries to ensure that all payroll related costs are accurately recorded in the general ledger discrepancies, determine appropriate solutions
- Review Staff Accountant journal entries and monthly reconciliations for completeness and accuracy of managed nonprofits
- Research and advise finance staff and account teams concerning the accounting treatment of complex payroll transactions.
- Develop and document best practices and processes regarding payroll processes
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation related to payroll account activity
- Assist with annual audit, donor audits and other special projects as assigned
- Work closely with client services team to ensure client service standards are met
To Be Successful in This Role, You’ll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in accounting / finance / business administration
- Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management, or consulting
- Proficiency with Excel, Ultimate Software and Great Plains (GP)
- Five years of payroll experience in a Payroll Office or Department performing all payroll functions
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage and meet deadlines for multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work within multi-functional teams
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organization’s Finance Team
For Managed Organizations: Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused-on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance, we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing.