The League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (LCVEF) believes the earth is worth building a movement for. LCVEF, in collaboration with its sister organization, League of Conservation Voters, and our state league partners, advocates for strong environmental protections, builds community relationships and amplifies the voices of communities of color and other key constituencies who are disproportionately impacted by environmental issues.
In order to save our earth, we must strengthen our democracy and build a more racially diverse and just environmental movement. We need to work with people across this country who share our values to ensure that we advance just and equitable environmental policies that have a meaningful impact on people’s daily lives. We need to increase the number of those who are engaged in the democratic process and safeguard against attempts to disenfranchise low-income communities and communities of color so that policies are shaped by the public interest and not just special interests.
LCVEF seeks a Senior Grant Writer who has strong writing and storytelling skills. The ideal candidate is a collaborator by nature; detail-oriented; and, thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. We are looking for an individual who will be nimble and welcomes the challenge of changing course as priorities shift. The Senior Grant Writer is passionate about doing work that makes the world a better place and has a commitment to racial justice and equity. We are looking for an individual with experience writing on a range of issues including the environment, progressive community organizing, democracy, civic engagement and social justice. The Senior Grant Writer is point on the creation of all written content for the Institutional Giving program at LCVEF, including, but not limited to: grant proposals and reports to grant-making organizations, factsheets for programs and initiatives, online content, as well as frequent and customized impact updates for existing and prospective funders. The Senior Grant Writer reports to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving and works collaboratively with all programs, grantees, vendors, and other staff members.
- Develop and manage production of well-written, high-impact and tailored grant proposals, applications, progress reports, draft budgets, and other collateral materials as needed that compellingly convey mission and direction, including LCVEF’s commitment to racial justice and equity, and address the programmatic interests of each funder.
- Work extensively with program staff to develop, write and present new or pilot proposals to funders. Ensure that proposals elevate our work with historically disenfranchised groups who have been pushed or left out of the democratic process, particularly communities of color.
- Manage the work of LCVEF’s external writing consultants.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the Institutional Giving team on coordinating, scripting, preparing for and following up on meetings between LCV/LCVEF and funders.
- Work with a top-notch writing team to develop high level messaging and framing for the organization and key programs.
- Support administrative processes for LCVEF grants, as needed.
- Other responsibilities as necessary.
- Work Experience: Required - Minimum of 4 years of experience in professional fundraising including at least 2 years of grant writing. Successful track record for securing significant commitments from institutional funders. Proven track record of delivering high quality results ahead of deadlines. Preferred - Experience working with a progressive organization or other environmental organization a plus. Experience working with Salesforce or other CRM for record keeping and moves management. Experience writing on a range of issues including the environment, progressive political organizing, democracy, civic engagement and social justice. Has worked for an organization that maintains both 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) entities. Supervisory experience a plus.
- Skills: Excellent persuasive written and oral communications skills. Extensive computer experience and familiarity with MS Word, Excel. Google business applications (G Suite) experience preferred. Highly organized and adept at maintaining systems for easy access to information and data. Solid judgment, critical thinking skills. A sense of teamwork and community, as well as the ability to work independently.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV and LCV Education Fund.
- Conditions: Able to work hours in excess of stated office hours to get the job done, as needed. The position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) three writing samples, and (4) contact information for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Grant Writer” in the subject line by November 20, 2018. No phone calls please.
LCVEF is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace