Established in 2004, SMASH (formerly the Level Playing Field Institute) is committed to eliminating the barriers faced by underrepresented people of color in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), and fostering their untapped talent. Its signature program, also known as SMASH, is a Summer Math and Science Honors Academy that provides incoming high school students with a rigorous, multi-year, campus-based STEM enrichment program, cost-free. In addition to academic skills and credentials, SMASH students develop critical thinking, civic and social awareness, and leadership abilities. SMASH operates in partnership with a growing number of host universities, including UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Davis, Stanford University, Morehouse College, Wayne State University, and the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. SMASH is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization operating under the auspices of the Kapor Center for Social Impact.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Senior Director of Development, SMASH, will be responsible for designing, leading, and implementing strategies to secure philanthropic revenue from foundations, corporations and individuals; and for meeting an annual (2018) fund raising goal of $5M from all sources. The Senior Director will manage a development staff that includes administrative staff and development officers who are responsible for corporate, foundation, and individual portfolios. The Senior Director will report to the Chief Development Officer.
- Serve as a member of the SMASH leadership team; participate in setting organizational goals and priorities
- Support CDO and CEO in design and delivery of overall development strategy
- Create and manage the execution of annual development operating plans; meet annual fund raising goals across all revenue streams
- Develop and manage annual budget
- Manage 4 direct reports: an institutional giving officer, an individual giving officer (position vacant), an annual giving manager and an operations manager; support their effective performance and professional growth
- Work collaboratively with the program team to gain a comprehensive understanding of SMASH’s work; build effective working relationships with program leaders
- Represent SMASH at events and otherwise externally in order to expand the organization’s network and cultivate donors
- 10+ years development experience
- Demonstrated working knowledge in all of the following areas: corporate, foundation, and individual giving
- Experience building productive and sustained donor relationships
- Experience managing, mentoring, and growing development teams
- Experience managing and growing development operations
- Strong communication skills across multiple platforms, contexts and communities
- Credible professional representative of, and advocate for, SMASH and Kapor Center missions, as demonstrated by personal/professional background in one or more of the following areas: youth development, education, social justice advocacy.
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and a highly entrepreneurial culture
Deep and authentic commitment to SMASH and Kapor Center organizational values:
- We extend trust and care from day one.
- We operate with personal integrity at every turn.
- Our diversity is critical to our success.
- We create and pursue opportunities that further our mission.
- We appreciate and uphold our unique organizational culture.
- We prioritize working with individuals and organizations that share values similar to ours.
COMPENSATION AND TERMS
SMASH provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance, 401K, paid time off, and holiday benefits. This position will be located at the Oakland, California offices of the Kapor Center for Social Impact.
ABOUT THE KAPOR CENTER FOR SOCIAL IMPACT
The Kapor Center for Social Impact is a family of for-profit and not-for-profit organizations founded by Mitch and Freada Kapor to advance innovation and economic progress of underrepresented communities in technology and entrepreneurship. The Kapor Center aspires to close opportunity gaps along the technology talent pipeline through initiatives in education, community engagement, diversity and inclusion, research, and venture capital. All of the Kapor Center’s efforts focus on building a technology ecosystem that is diverse, inclusive and ready to solve the complex problems of tomorrow. The Kapor Center has a staff of 65 employees and is headquartered in Oakland, California.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume using the link provided. Contact [email protected] with any questions.
Link to apply: https://schaffercombs.applytojob.com/apply/6ulHkVoGte/Senior-Director-Of-Development-At-SMASH
Please do not contact SMASH or the Kapor Center for Social Impact directly. Schaffer&Combs is retained by SMASH to manage the search for a Senior Director of Development.
SMASH is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Schaffer&Combs solves problems and provides growth solutions for mission-driven organizations.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with