You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
We seek an operationally-minded leader with a passion for improving processes and building efficiencies that ultimately help advance the social sector. This is an excellent opportunity to develop and exercise your COO-like skills within a growing social enterprise. You will help quickly launch, scale, and manage operations for a variety of client philanthropic initiatives, including donor collaboratives, advocacy campaigns, and new nonprofit organizations. You will support client initiatives across multiple issue areas. You will also help our team continue to grow and improve: you will use your skills to quickly build internal capacity, systems, and technologies that enable us to more effectively serve the sector. We seek a leader with experience growing teams and developing team members, a person who combines entrepreneurial spirit with an eagerness to help clients accomplish greater good. If you want the opportunity to help lead a fast-growing team that is reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you.
Client Services (~30%)
- Oversee the delivery of excellent client services for a broad portfolio of grant-making, incubation, and fiscally-sponsored projects
- Provide expert guidance to clients in the areas of donor and grant/contract management, capacity building, and financial and legal compliance. Help projects solve problems even as they implement
- Cultivate strong relationships with clients, donors, and philanthropic partners
- Supervise mid-level team members, including an extensive focus on developing, motivating, and mentoring direct reports
- Identify rising stars on the team, and support strategies to retain them
- Identify, recruit, coach and support staff across the team
Strategic Leadership and Organizational Growth (25%)
- As a member of the Managed Organizations leadership team, contribute to team and organizational strategy, and oversee the achievement of important team objectives
- Contribute to the team and organization’s significant year-over-year growth by innovating our systems, operations and processes
- Contribute to the development and management of the team’s ongoing structure, annual objectives, and key business performance metrics
- Develop and share relevant and valuable expertise
Marketing and Business Development (~20%)
- Work closely with Managing Directors and other team leaders to inform and support business development
- Maintain familiarity with ongoing relevant sector research and share with team and clients
- Contribute to thought leadership
- Represent the firm at conferences and events
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Graduate degree in relevant field (e.g., business administration, nonprofit management, and public administration) or equivalent experience
- Experience in philanthropic or nonprofit sectors—operational leadership in nonprofit organizations or experience in social sector consulting are preferred
- At least 15 years of work experience with steadily increasing job responsibility, including extensive people management experience
- Excellent communication skills, including writing skills, and demonstrated ability to structure large amounts of information into written documents that are clear and easy to understand
- Exposure to a fast-growing organization
- Extensive experience providing high-quality customer service in fast-paced sophisticated environments
- Ability to manage and lead a complex project, to oversee and delegate to others on the team, and to meet deadlines
- Significant experience designing and implementing operational improvements and innovations
- Experience with grants or contracts and knowledge of general terms
- Competent in managing and understanding mid-sized budgets
- Knowledgeable of sales processes
Other highly preferred skills, experience and characteristics:
- Significant international development or grantmaking experience
- Lean, Six Sigma or similar certification, and experience implementing such principles in growing organizations
- Excited about compliance and contracts
- Take pride in providing exceptional service
- Desire to lead a growing team in a dynamic office
- High emotional intelligence
- Constantly seeking to innovate
- Able to quickly adapt to changing circumstances
- Sense of humor
Our Core Competencies:
- [Service Excellence] The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to effectively guide teams to achieve service standards and carry out strategy, and identify service offering gaps and recommend and/or drive improvements
- [Project and Task Management] The ability to manage resources across team to ensure projects and goals are achieved, approve work plan changes and final deliverables, and communicate projects’ progress with critical stakeholders
- [Stakeholder Management] The ability to establish and manage effective relationships with diverse stakeholders across the firm, including executive-level colleagues, and to foster a culture of courteous professional interactions
- [Communication] The ability to effectively communicate critical firm-wide messages, and to lead others in managing challenging conversations and developing complex communication skills
- [Collaboration] The ability to model and foster a team-wide culture of inclusion, collaboration, and knowledge sharing; to demonstrate and model appreciation for significant team contributions; and to mediate challenging interpersonal conflicts
- [Continuous Learning] The ability to regularly engage in leadership development activities, and lead firm-wide initiatives that improve firm-wide learning
- [Resourcefulness] The ability to foster a team culture that encourages creative problem solving, and to ensure teams have resources and training to overcome complex challenges
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How To Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter must address: 1) your client management experience and philosophy; 2) your supervisory experience; and 3) how this job fits with your career path.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.
Click here to apply.
Do you like this post?
Be the first to comment
Sign in with