Youth Radio, an award-winning, youth-driven producer of innovative media, technology and training resources, seeks an experienced, visionary Senior Development Director for our annual fund. Youth Radio’s mission is to launch young people on career and education pathways by engaging them in work-based learning opportunities, creative expression, professional development, and health and academic support services.
With an average operating budget of approximately $4M, Youth Radio is entering a period of significant organizational growth that requires broadening the funding mechanisms that have sustained it thus far, presenting an exciting opportunity to build and operationalize a comprehensive strategic development plan for the nation’s preeminent independent youth media organization. By providing structure and clear action plans, the new Senior Development Director will empower staff and board members to build upon the current base of individual and institutional support.
The Senior Development Director serves as the primary staff liaison on development goals. Working with the board and department heads and Executive Leadership, the Director will be the senior development officer, leading major gifts activities and ultimately accountable for the outcomes of donor and funder pipelines from research and acquisition to cultivation, stewardship, solicitation and recognition. A track record of success with in-person and written asks and relationship building with high net worth individuals, foundations, and for-profit organizations is required, as this role is responsible for raising significant gifts to meet specific individual revenue goals as well as contributing to the achievement of team outcomes.
The Senior Development Director is also responsible for implementation and oversight of all development operational systems including general administration functions, gift processing, donor relations, reporting/analysis, donor database management, and integration of new technologies. The ideal candidate will have a successful track record in annual fund development with year-over-year increases in income levels and participation rates.
The Senior Development Director will lead the entire fundraising team on strategizing, coordinating, implementing and managing a comprehensive annual development program comprised of individual giving including major and planned gifts, corporate donations, institutional/government and foundation granting, special events fundraising, capital campaigns, and the innovation of additional raised revenue opportunities.
Candidates should have experience in broad-based fund development with a strong history of engaging in productive relationships that result in significant gifts. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are critical. Familiarity with digital media arts, career technical education, workforce development, and youth development fundraising would be an asset.
This is a full-time position that reports to the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver on annual revenue targets, planning for aggressive year-over-year increases.
- Participate as a member of the senior leadership in decision-making, strategic planning and goal setting for the core annual operating fund, working with Executive Leadership and Development Department to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and approaches.
- Educate prospective major gift donors, effectively developing and articulating Youth Radio’s case for support, personally soliciting gifts $10,000 and above.
- Manage a portfolio of at least 30 major gift prospects annually with expectations of soliciting each within current fiscal year.
- Oversee all ongoing development efforts, ensuring engagement with multiple income sources, both individual and institutional, including corporate.
- Provide coaching, guidance and feedback to the Development team on goals, duties, and professional development.
- Work closely with the executive team to support board members in institutional and individual fundraising, helping establish and manage key relationships between prospective supporters and organizational contacts.
- Build collaborative relationships between the development team and organization staff to plan and implement key development strategies.
- Work directly with Individual Giving Manager to identify and cultivate prospects, ensuring that active and effective strategies are in place for all.
- Coordinate with Director of Institutional Giving to support growth of grant funding pipeline.
- Collaborate with Director of Marketing & Communication to advance the institutional profile of the agency and communicate fundraising goals and progress both internally and externally.
- Help manage capital campaigns as necessary.
- Assist with grant applications as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ years of progressive promotion through development positions in a complex not-for-profit institution, with documented success in cultivating, soliciting, closing and stewarding individual gifts of $10,000+ and institutional gifts of $100,000+.
- Experience planning, leading and managing development projects with success in fundraising from multiple donor channels, including setting and implementing major gift solicitation strategies and institutional application processes.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating with colleagues to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
- Skilled in creating and presenting powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising with the capacity to develop & maintain effective working relationships with individuals & organizations reflecting a broad range of identities, perspectives & experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, relevant professional certificate and/or master’s degree a plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position includes a comprehensive health, benefits and vacation package, with a salary commensurate with experience.
- Cover Letter
- Resume and 2-3 writing samples
- Recent salary history
Please send requirements to [email protected]. Please put “Senior Development Director” in subject line. No calls please. Youth Radio is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.