About Living Cities
Living Cities, a collaborative of 19 of the world’s largest foundations and financial institutions, supports bold and promising approaches to close racial income and wealth gaps. Living Cities executes its mission through strategic deployment of loans, grants, and the intellectual capital and convening power of its membership. Over the past 25 years, Living Cities’ members have collectively invested more than $2 billion in America’s cities, an investment that has resulted in over $20 billion in development and follow-on investments. Yet members are not simply funders. They participate at the senior management level on the Living Cities Board of Directors and contribute the time of 80+ expert staff toward crafting and implementing the Living Cities’ agenda.
About The Position
Partnering with an outstanding team of colleagues, consultants and external partners, the Senior Associate will provide programmatic management and support to colleagues, members, and sites. The Senior Associate will staff the Regional Inclusive Economic Growth working group; launch and grow an initiative with entrepreneurs of color; support a new homeownership initiative. Specifically, the Senior Associate with manage complex projects and facilitate collective action among cross-sector partners in service of large scale results. In addition, the Senior Associate will analyze, synthesize and codify key findings from Living Cities’ work, deepening understanding of the strategies and competencies needed to support closing racial income and wealth gaps at scale.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Build and enhance the systems and processes, and infrastructure to support initiatives, with an eye toward organizational alignment and efficiency
- Provide programmatic support, including results-based facilitation, research, synthesis, analysis, technical assistance and project management
- Work with others to look across projects, identify themes across issues areas, all while managing multiple priorities
- Work in close partnership with Living Cities membership, partners, and local leaders in cities across the country to understand community needs and work toward systems change that closes racial income and wealth gaps
- Manage community of practitioners and working groups, building trust and supporting convergence around shared goals
- Facilitate the adoption of promising practices through in-person and online engagement
Research and Analysis
- Conduct research and analysis focused on potential income and wealth building strategies
- Identify key themes and codify learnings throughout the work, especially related to racial equity and inclusion
- Develop (conceptualize, write, edit, curate, etc.) content, for publication to and engagement with relevant stakeholders (e.g. investors, nonprofit fields, funders, government partners) using a variety of platforms
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A minimum of six years relevant work experience
- Masters degree in public policy, urban planning, business or a related field preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of racial equity and inclusion and commitment to closing the racial income and wealth gaps in American cities
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to inspire confidence when delivering formal and informal presentations to colleagues, partners, grantees, and funders
- Outstanding task and project management skills; ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, meet multiple concurrent deadlines, and organize time and priorities
- Strong research, analytical, and strategic thinking skills, with a track record of career advancement into positions with increasing levels of responsibility
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills, including strong social listening (in person and digital)
- Comfort using data and performance measures (e.g. results based accountability, six sigma, and/collective impact) to improve program performance and assess impact, and facilitating large groups towards shared results
- Proven ability to perform effectively under pressure and to utilize strong organizational skills when faced with multiple time-sensitive priorities
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach to work, including effectively working in collaboration with others
- Ability to travel as required; at least 25% of work will necessitate travel to other locations within the United States
New York City or Washington, DC
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
Qualified Individuals, Please Apply
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), religion or creed, citizenship status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, domestic partnership status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, or any other characteristic protected by law.