Senior Advocacy and Collaborations Advisor, US Program
Boston, MA (see below)
Deputy Director, US Program
US Program staff; and key staff in Communications & Engagement, Campaigns, Private Sector Department, Policy and Advocacy Division.
BACKGROUND: Oxfam America is committed to creating lasting solutions to hunger, poverty and social injustice through long-term ties with poor communities around the world, and seeks to engage public sector and private industry leaders to commit to high standards for the protection of rights in accordance with our strategic objectives. The US Program of Oxfam America leads programs on economic injustice and poverty in the United States. Currently, US programs seek to strengthen worker rights for low-wage workers, particularly women and people of color, in the food system, and to create livelihood opportunities for vulnerable Gulf Coast communities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Senior Advocacy & Collaborations Advisor will work with Oxfam staff and external partners, allies and stakeholders to mobilize support for collaborations, rights-based campaigns and advocacy initiatives. S/he will help conceptualize broad advocacy initiatives and lead in the implementation of selected initiatives. The Senior Advisor will support other US Program staff in their advocacy-related work, serve as liaison to other departments and contribute to agency goals of broadening our constituency.
ADDITIONAL LOCATION INFORMATION: Boston is the preferred location for this position. Washington, DC-based candidates will also be considered, with the expectation that the position will be based full-time in Boston for the first month with the final location negotiable (Boston or Washington).
1. Provide leadership and strategic support to Oxfam staff in the conceptualization, design, and execution of targeted advocacy initiatives and collaborations that support US Program strategic goals.
- Strengthen the methodological understanding and applied practice of campaigning and broad-based advocacy initiatives as a tool for social change appropriate to Oxfam programming.
- Systematically integrate campaigning and advocacy initiatives within the US Program strategic planning process, being mindful of issues such as stakeholder consultation, resources and budgeting, strategy development, branding, relationship management, risk-assessment, decision-making, etc.
- Provide coordination of private sector and policy advocacy campaigning on domestic poverty and economic justice issues by serving as the “hub” for cross-departmental staff teams.
- Support US Program staff in the design, development and coordination of Oxfam support for partner-led campaigns and state-specific campaigns.
- Support US Program staff in the design, development and coordination of private sector collaborations, strengthen knowledge of, and staff capacity in implementing, the range of campaign and advocacy tools that can be applied in program activities.
- Participate in Oxfam theme team(s) as appropriate, including conceptualization/planning and implementation of theme-based work.
2. Provide overall project coordination and project management of selected campaign and broad-based advocacy initiatives for the US Program, delivering high-impact, public influencing strategies in support of programmatic goals.
- Work with US Program team and other departments, as appropriate, to develop and execute campaign plans to take full advantage of targeted US constituencies to engage in a full range of influencing tactics, including local meetings, op-eds and letters to the editor, sign-on letters, blogs, reports, DC lobby fly-in events, speaking events, media and social media outreach, etc.
- Provide external coordination, as appropriate, with partners, allies, public supporters, as well as public officials and industry leaders.
- Manage high profile campaigns and collaborations with the corporate sector, including direct engagement with industry leaders,
- Serve as campaigning lead to communications department in the development of public outreach and campaigning materials.
- Provide project planning expertise for management of peak moments, appropriate sequencing of campaign activities, resource allocation, etc.
- Recruit, manage and mentor interns and temporary employees to cover administrative and/or short-term organizing tasks, including outreach and preparation for conferences, events, etc.
3. Contribute to Oxfam’s outreach and organizing strategy, seeking to grow our constituency base and to advance Oxfam’s overall mission and campaign priorities.
- Serve as an Oxfam representative able to effectively communicate to public audiences about Oxfam’s mission and overall campaign priorities.
- Build and leverage opportunities to link messaging and organizing across Oxfam campaigns.
- Share learning and best practices within the agency.
- Serve as lead on Oxfam International groups involving collaborations with the US Program.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- The incumbent will stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning in the field.
- S/he will work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work, and will perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect.
- S/he will be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America’s mission, values and goals.
- S/he must be able to travel up to 20% of the time in support of work; some evening and weekend work may be required.
- S/he will have an understanding of gender equity and diversity within key areas of responsibility and a commitment to promoting gender equity and diversity in our workplace and programs.
Bachelors degree, and Masters in political science, public policy, sociology, development, anthropology or a related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years relevant experience in social justice organizing; public policy, political or corporate campaigning
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize and communicate in diverse environments
- Demonstrated ability to manage and work within complex multi-functional projects and teams
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and work under pressure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including public speaking
- Demonstrated ability to network across geographical, thematic and institutional spectrums
- An understanding of and familiarity with the economic, political and social rights issues in the US.
- Competency in written and oral Spanish.
- Experience in both policy advocacy campaigning and private sector engagement.
- Experience in analysis of risk and brand risk in the context of advocacy work and alliances with other organizations.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with