The Kresge Foundation has an opening for a Senior Accountant and Tax Specialist.
About the Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American Cities. With a $3.8 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
Join an Award Winning Finance Office
Our award winning team includes three Certified Public Accountants whose accomplishments include the 2011 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year, 2017 DBusiness Powered by Women Award, a member of the Financial Accounting Standards Board Not-For-Profit Advisory Committee, two MICPA Women to Watch Awards, a 2015 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year Rising Star awardee, a member of the MICPA Ethics Task Force, and a member of the Walsh College Accounting Advisory Board.
Our finance and accounting team offers the broadest possible exposure to the non-profit accounting field. You will have opportunities to learn accounting insights from some of the best finance and accounting professionals in the industry.
Strong Work Life Balance
We offer a competitive total compensation package including…
- Health benefits, employer-paid dental, vision, and life insurance
- Wellness program with financial incentives
- 4 weeks of paid time off
- Attractive 401k plan consisting of a 5% 1:1 employer match and an additional 10% employer contribution
….and other benefits:
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily for a minimal charge
- Robust professional development opportunities, including tuition reimbursement
- Technology reimbursement
- Award-winning platinum LEED facility anchored by a 19th century farmhouse
About the position
The Senior Accountant & Tax Specialist is responsible for reconciling financial accounting activity and performing the day-to-day accounting and tax functions with an emphasis on its complex reporting for alternative investments. This position has the role of gaining a thorough understanding of accounting and tax matters affecting the Foundation to ensure proper planning, compliance, research, tracking, analysis and reporting. This position will support the Deputy CFO and Controller, Finance team and other internal staff as well as interact with external advisors and peer foundations.
- Participates in analysis of accounting and tax issues as they arise. In conjunction with external advisors, researches new and pending updates and regulations as well as assesses impact and resulting reporting requirements.
- Provides technical expertise, reviewing and recommending procedures for compliance with financial reporting standards as well as international, federal, state and local tax regulations. Responsible for documenting accounting and tax positions and implementing processes and procedures.
- Prepares general ledger entries, analysis and reconciliations as assigned to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Assists with monthly, quarterly and yearly close process.
- Assists with preparation for the annual audit as needed.
- Fulfills accounting, audit and tax information requests as required.
- Prepares all accounting and tax schedules, reconciliations and journal entries related to Forms 990-PF, 990-T and state tax filings for internal and external audit review.
- Prepares Forms 990-PF and 990-T for internal and external review. Responds to review notes and reviews returns prior to filing.
- Assists with tax and payout forecasts as well as preparation of all quarterly tax estimates and return extensions.
- Responsible for the collection and follow up on all federal and state Schedule K-1’s, foreign reporting forms and all other relevant tax related information and forms.
- Prepares state registrations, annual reports and tax exemptions.
- Obtains U.S. Residency Certificates and foreign exemption letters as needed.
- Tracks foreign entity elections, transactions, ownership and related information for foreign reporting forms. Reviews externally prepared foreign reporting forms prior to filing.
- Supports the Deputy CFO and Controller during interactions with the Internal Revenue Service and State Treasury related matters.
- Develops collaborative relationships with external audit and tax advisors and demonstrates partnership with internal departments to maximize the benefits realized from the relationships.
- Develops processes and procedures as necessary to ensure accuracy and maintain proper internal controls. Identifies and implements opportunities for operational improvements in the accounting, audit and tax preparation processes.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Strong commitment to the Foundation's vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
- BA/BS degree accounting or finance required; Master’s preferred.
- CPA required.
- Two plus years of public accounting experience. Tax experience with investments and partnerships preferred. Knowledge of federal, international and exempt organization tax issues highly desirable. Private foundation and audit experience a plus.
- Excellent analytical, writing, verbal and social communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of Windows-based spreadsheet and word processing software required (Microsoft Office products). Knowledge and experience working with accounting and tax software (Great Plains and ProSystem fx, respectively) preferred.
- Advanced skill level with excel.
- Proven organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
- Positive team attitude.
Please apply on our website at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=87274f4c-cc7a-4ce9-97ab-d86186933f96&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=295268&source=CC3&lang=en_US
Application deadline is August 15, 2019.
The Kresge Foundation, an Equal Opportunity Employer, seeks to reach a broad and diverse candidate pool when filling vacant positions. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds because we believe that the foundation and its work benefit from the various perspectives and talents of a diverse staff. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.