The Strategic Information and Planning Department is responsible for evaluating the work of First 5 Contra Costa and seeking ways to expand upon it through advocacy and partnerships. The Communications Department is responsible for developing and implementing methods of internal and external communications to advance First 5 Contra Costa’s efforts to improve support and services for young children.
The Assistant II will play a critical role in providing administrative support, maintaining smooth operations, and supporting areas of overlap and intersection between and within the two departments. This role requires a person with great attention to detail, a helpful disposition, the ability to be flexible and adapt to changing priorities, a high degree of professionalism, and the willingness to learn.
Standard Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative or other support in the development of materials, activities, and events.
- Support a collaborative, efficient workflow between the Strategic Information and Planning and
- Communications departments.
- Organize and support meetings, including scheduling, maintaining internal calendars, duplication of materials, purchase/preparation of refreshments, note taking, and tracking delegated tasks.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and make independent decisions.
- Provide expertise or training to staff members, contractors, and/or community members as necessary.
- Maintain positive relationships with staff, contractors, partners, and community members.
- Work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Perform general clerical duties such as filing, faxing, copying, correspondence, and mailing materials.
- Process and handle confidential information and files with discretion.
- Represent department when needed to agencies, commissioners, community members and others.
- Participate, as a staff team member, in other First 5 activities and projects as needed.
- Support the organization in shared administrative duties such as welcoming visitors, allowing
- guests and visitors access to the office, maintaining office areas, and other specially assigned duties.
- Perform occasional office errands.
- Other duties as assigned.
Support the Strategic Information and Planning Department
- Support research projects, including internet research, telephone queries, collection and assembly of data and reports.
- Track and organize new and updated information and research related to early childhood development, early education, child health, and related areas.
- Assist in the development and preparation of reports and handle special requests for information and materials as needed.
- Maintain and update the First 5 contractor reporting system. Check entries for accuracy, timeliness, and completeness. Perform data entry accurately and efficiently.
- Provide technical support for contractor databases, as needed.
- Revise and format a large variety of forms for use by contractors.
Assist and compile information in preparation for annual reporting activities, including cross-checking data from multiple sources and cleaning data for analysis.
Support the Communications Department
- Assist in maintaining consistency in brand guidelines and communications.
- Support the social media guidelines and calendar, which may include posting regular updates on our social media channels and engaging with the audience.
- Support and assist in the tracking and production of communications materials, including the procurement process for outside vendors.
- Maintain and update existing media contact list, research online resources and other avenues of public relations.
- Proofread communications copy, and assist in maintaining web content.
- Facilitate communications with internal staff.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and two to three years of relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities; or five years of experience in a similar position with progressive responsibility.
- Strong organization and time management skills, with great attention to detail and excellent follow through.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage a busy workload with interruptions; must be flexible and adaptable to changing
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills, including the ability to synthesize information
- into concise, clear documents.
- Goal oriented with the ability to anticipate upcoming needs and potential problems, approach them
- with a problem-solving mindset, and communicate them to staff.
- Ability to work in a team environment, including the ability to sense what will help/hinder accomplishing a goal and communicate that to the Managers. The successful candidate approaches work with a problem-solving mindset.
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and automobile insurance.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with diverse populations and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute toward a positive work environment.
- Self-directed and action-oriented; sees what needs to be done and acts.
- Produces high-quality work in a time-efficient manner.
- Resourceful and skilled at gathering information.
- Excellent computer skills in MS Office applications and the ability to conduct Internet research.
- Experience working with data and numbers and ability to learn database software.
Experience working with large, complex Excel spreadsheets.
Preferred, not required
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, both written and verbal, strongly desired.
- Familiar with Constant Contact or other contact management systems.
- Experience posting on social media and website updates.
- Demonstrated commitment to the issues of families and children.
- Experience working in a social service or non-profit organization or public agency.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary range is $51,211.83 to $60,799.23 commensurate with experience. First 5 Contra Costa offers a comprehensive benefits package.
About First 5 Contra Costa
First 5 Contra Costa helps young children grow up healthy and ready to learn during the most important time in their development. We have nearly 20 years of experience funding innovative programs and advocating for policies that produce better futures for our children. Since our inception, First 5 Contra Costa has invested more than $140 million in Prop. 10 revenues to programs and services that help Contra Costa’s children get the best start in life. Learn more at www.first5coco.org.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position.
Electronic submissions should include Assistant II in the subject line and be sent to: [email protected]. Or mail to First 5 Contra Costa, Human Resources,1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. This position will remain open until filled. First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer