About the Foundation
Established in 2005, the College Futures Foundation is a private foundation committed to helping qualified low-income and underrepresented students in California who have financial need attend and graduate from college. With an endowment of nearly $500 million, the Foundation expects to award grants of approximately $18 million in 2017.
We believe improving college achievement is central to California’s future. It is this belief that drives us to serve as a strategic partner to school districts, post-secondary institutions, nonprofits, foundations, businesses, local governments and policy makers in California. We work collaboratively to increase opportunities for low-income and underrepresented students and ensure a thriving future for the state by removing barriers to college degree attainment.
College Futures Foundation is an equal opportunity employer to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, or sexual orientation.
Under the supervision of Senior Policy and Research Officer, and working closely with the Research and Data Manager, the Research Associate will work up to 20 hours a week between December 2017 and June 2018 to assist in the collection, analysis and communication of data related to the Foundation’s strategy. This is a temporary, part-time position with the possibility of a permanent, full-time position.
Specific responsibilities include:
Research, Data Analysis and Visualization
- Acquire, maintain, and analyze new and existing institutional and contextual data for the Foundation’s data system; examples include data from state and federal education agencies such as Ca Dept. of Education, CSU, IPEDS, US Census, and others.
- Oversee the collection and analysis of student level data for scholarship students served by community foundations across California
- Automate ongoing and recurring analyses to streamline our workflows and accelerate insights
- Develop visualizations, written materials, slides, and templates that organize and present data in compelling formats for grantees, program staff, management, Board, and the Foundation’s Website.
- With oversight from the Senior Policy and Research Officer, collaborate with the Research and Data Manager to develop and manage related internal business processes for data collection, data base management, analysis, quality control, and tool development.
- Implement plans and processes and develop training and resources for foundation grantees to submit and analyze data using the Foundation’s data system.
- Document and share these analytic processes in accessible and easy-to-understand presentations with internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Strong analytic skills with high proficiency in using spreadsheet applications for data collection, cleaning, and analysis.
- Data visualization skills including creating bar charts, scatter plots, etc. Experience with Tableau or similar visualization platforms is a plus.
- Experience with SQL databases including basic joins and developing queries and views.
- Familiarity with a scripting or statistical programming language such as R, Python, or Stata for the automation of common analytical tasks.
- Must be detail-oriented, able to scrutinize large amounts of data for an extended period.
- Excellent time management, task prioritizing, project tracking skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to develop, document, and follow procedures and maintain accurate records.
- A high degree of initiative, judgment and resourcefulness in solving problems, and overall, a results-orientation.
- Service-minded and open to new ideas and constructive feedback from colleagues.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience or personal commitment to promoting college going and success for low-income and under-represented students
- Ability to contribute to a collegial, respectful, and supportive office environment.
- We will consider undergraduate or graduate students with strong qualifications.
- Flexible Schedule and remote work/telecommuting is possible for the right candidate with at least one day per week on-site in our offices in downtown San Francisco.
We offer a competitive salary based on skills and experience.
Interested individuals should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]. No calls, please.