Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the hook – college, career, and life success is the goal.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston.
BUILD is made up of a diverse, results driven and passionate team who believe in the potential of every student and the power of entrepreneurship-based, experiential learning to transform the education landscape. We work in a collaborative environment where perseverance, flexibility, cross-cultural understanding and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. For more information, please visit build.org.
BUILD is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial Regional Executive Director (RED) to lead BUILD – Metro DC. The ideal candidate cares deeply about young people, and can inspire our students to accomplish great things. In addition, the RED will inspire our staff, board members, mentors, volunteers, and donors to advance our mission.
The RED oversees BUILD’s work with 150+ high school students in five partner schools in Metro DC, including plans for further expansion. The RED directs the planning and execution of BUILD Metro DC education programs, fundraising, operations and strategic planning. In order to achieve outcomes, the RED must forge strategic relationships with corporations, foundations, individuals and media outlets and deepen partnerships with community and school district leaders. Additionally, the RED hires and manages regional staff to outcomes, develops a sustainable strategy to expand BUILD’s presence in the Metro DC region and maximizes our short and long-term impact.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the RED will join a learning community of REDs from the Bay Area, Boston, and New York and serve as a member of BUILD’s National Leadership Team, working closely with BUILD leadership to influence the overall strategic direction of the national organization.
Program Management, Operations, and Expansion (45% time allocation):
- Plan and execute the overall strategic direction of the BUILD Metro DC region
- Recruit, train, manage, professionally develop, and set high expectations for the BUILD regional staff, and ensure effective implementation of BUILD’s four-year program
- Develop the annual regional plan and budget in alignment with national strategic plans/programmatic priorities and direct the day-to day-work of the regional staff
- Working with the Program Director and National Program Team, ensure the effective implementation of BUILD programming in the region, including program planning, implementation, evaluation and overall program quality
- Oversee operations including facilities and IT, working in collaboration with the national office and external IT team
- In partnership with the Program Director, explore avenues to continue to grow the program through additional classes, schools, districts, community centers, and licensed partnerships in the DC, Maryland and Virginia (DMV) area
- Contribute to the organization’s National Leadership Team by setting strategy and priorities and executing organizational outcomes
Fundraising & External Relations (55% time allocation):
- Working with the development team and board, raise the BUILD Metro DC annual operating budget of $700k, by developing and executing a Metro DC regional development plan that features corporate, foundation, individual, government and event funding streams
- Manage and set high expectations for the Development Team, which includes a Director of Strategic Partnerships and Development Associate
- Coordinate with BUILD’s National Office for grant writing and event management support
- Serve as the external spokesperson for BUILD with key partners in the school district, local government, corporations, nonprofits, individuals, philanthropic organizations, community groups, and the media to increase visibility and brand awareness of the BUILD program
- Participate in community building activities and attend community events to deepen relationships and build connections
- Manage fundraising for major events including the Metro DC Gala by securing corporate and individual sponsorships
- Recruit, manage and support Local Advisory Board members charged with supporting strategy, fundraising, advancing programmatic goals, and widening the circle of friends and supporters of BUILD
- Work with new and existing corporate partners to create skills-based volunteering opportunities that involve BUILD students, in collaboration with the Director of Strategic Partnerships
- Experience working in an educational, youth-based organization with knowledge and deep understanding of current educational policies and practices
- Proven track record of success and leadership in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment achieving outcomes in the following areas:
- Fundraising across a diversity of revenue streams, ideally with experience fundraising specifically in Metro DC and the broader DC, Maryland, Virginia (DMV) area.
- Building and managing a Board
- Engaging and fostering mutually beneficial strategic relationships
- Developing and executing an organizational strategy to expand programming while maintaining quality
- Strong staff management background including recruiting and developing a high-performing team, and with a strong emphasis on alignment with the strategic plan and outcomes
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with strong public speaking skills, and a natural ability to build relationships and interact comfortably with and understand the interests of a variety of constituents and inspire enthusiasm for the organizational mission
- Comfort with regular regional travel and some national travel to BUILD Headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area, or elsewhere as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
BUILD offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for generous paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, a flexible work environment, and performance bonuses.
- Location: Metro DC
- Full Time/Exempt
- Travel will be required to partner schools in Metro DC
- Expected start date: July/August 2019
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to Nancy Racette of DRi at email@example.com.
The position is now open and we will begin to review resumes immediately. Please be advised that you will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application. We will contact all applicants that meet the minimum requirements of the role. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.