The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation supports creative people, effective institutions, and influential networks building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world. MacArthur is placing a few big bets that truly significant progress is possible on some of the world’s most pressing social challenges, including over-incarceration, global climate change, nuclear risk, and significantly increasing financial capital for the social sector. In addition to the MacArthur Fellows Program, the Foundation continues its historic commitments to the role of journalism in a responsible and responsive democracy, as well as the strength and vitality of our headquarters city, Chicago.
MacArthur is one of the nation's largest independent foundations. Organizations supported by the Foundation work in about 50 countries. In addition to Chicago, MacArthur has offices in India, Mexico, and Nigeria.
The Administrative Services team plans, manages, coordinates, and directs support services to ensure the success of the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and the Marquette Building. This customer service- and detail-oriented team provides a high level of support and seeks creative and effective programs, services, and solutions that foster a supportive, well-run, and efficient working environment.
Under the general supervision of the Manager, Administrative Services, the Receptionist works closely with the Office of the Building staff to coordinate requests and process requests in WorkSpeed. The Receptionist answers all incoming calls and greets all incoming guests. He/She is responsible for keeping the 12th Floor reception and conference rooms neat, reserving conference rooms for all staff meetings and canceling reservations in Condeco as needed. He/She constantly monitors all incoming emails specific to 911 calls and understands how to handle an emergency and Bluepoint devices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reserve conference rooms for staff meetings
- Answer incoming calls that include office of the building promptly and efficiently
- Greet and announce all incoming guests
- Perform general maintenance of the reception area
- Fulfill staff requests and ensure completion in Workspeed
- Process invoices
- Process expenses for Manager, Administrative Services
- Log Certificate of Insurance
- Update weekly Team time off schedule
- Assist with mailings or other staffing requests as approved by Manager, Administrative Services
- Maintain furniture inventory
- Sort and distribute generic mail to appropriate program/department
- Assist with ordering office supplies, as needed
- Contact vendors for service calls
- Receive and distribute special courier packages promptly
- Always aware of his/her surroundings and is aware of people coming and going from all elevators
- Diverts all freight deliveries to the 10th Floor
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School diploma and previous experience managing a reception phone system
- Strong customer service skills are a must
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Prompt and consistent attendance is necessary for this role
- Must be flexible
- Proficient in Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Workspeed (Office of the Building work order system)
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The work environment is an office setting. Daily, intermittent physical activities will include bending, reaching, sitting, and walking during working hours. Individual must be physically able to respond to emergency situations, including immediate evacuation of the suite and building. Procedures will require use of stairs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a person with physical disabilities to perform the job.
Please follow instructions online at our website.
The position is based in Chicago, Illinois.