This position will provide coaching, technical assistance and training to providers in identified early care and education programs to improve the quality of early learning programs participating in Contra Costa Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS).
Standard Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance to licensed early care and education programs around Environmental Rating Scales, CLASS, ASQ-3, ASQ-SE, CSEFEL, and DRDP to evaluate each program’s current quality and identify areas for improvement
- Facilitate meetings with program participants to discuss the external assessments, collaborate with participants to identify strengths and challenges in their program, and develop an individualized Quality Improvement Plan (QIP)
- Provide intensive coaching, technical support, in-service training, and follow-up visits to early care and education programs to support achievement of goals identified in their Quality Improvement Plan
- Collaborate with other First 5 staff and external consultants, as needed, to ensure successful implementation of Quality Improvement Plan
- Enter descriptions of coaching activities and action plans , referrals, and other progress notes into the WELS database
- Prepare reports for each site and program data summaries as requested
- Conduct trainings for First 5 Contra Costa to further support implementation of the site quality improvement
- Assist with outreach and recruitment from early childhood care and education programs to participate in the Quality Improvement Program
- Attend agency and program meetings, as assigned
- Regularly drives and/or travels throughout Contra Costa County to perform the above job duties; driving is an essential function of this position
- Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in child development, early childhood education, social science or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- At least three years fulltime progressive responsibility in a public or private organization or community development agency providing direct services to early learning settings or the oversight of such services
- Verifiable experience working directly with children, families and childcare providers in an early care and education setting
- Verifiable experience conducting environmental assessments, trainings, and/or offering technical assistance to child development professionals
- CLASS reliable on all three tools (PreK, Toddler and Infant). Must maintain yearly certification
- Maintain 85% ERS inter-rater reliability in all three tools – ECERS, FCCERS and ITERS
- Principles and practices in the early childhood education field including reflective practice
- Environment Rating Scales (ECERS, ITERS, FCERS)
- CLASS, DRDP, ASQ-3, and ASQ-SE; DRDP, PITC, CSEFEL
- Applicable state laws, rules and regulations related to child care licensing
- Various adult learning styles and proven strategies for working with each style
- Basic program development, planning and evaluation methodologies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and use of the internet for research
- Establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with a wide range of professionals including but not limited to, First 5 Contra Costa staff, partnering agencies, community partners, and early care and education providers
- Coordinate and/or provide informal and formal trainings and presentations to diverse audiences
- Facilitate group meetings
- Effectively represent First 5 in meetings
- Plan, monitor and evaluate program and service delivery
- Develop and maintain data collection and reporting processes
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in a variety of contexts
- Work in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Think proactively, anticipate and identify problem, gather information/data to analyze situations, and develop effective recommendations and solutions
- Exercise sound judgment within generally established policies and procedures to select appropriate strategies and make and carry out effective decisions
- Communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing, to childcare providers, First 5 staff, partners and the public
- Read, analyze and interpret common professional publications, policy documents, financial reports and related business documents and information
- Demonstrate initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Plan and organize work to insure organizational and program goals are achieved
- Meet attendance requirements of the position
- Adapt, with minimal or no advanced notice, to changes in agency operations and work assignments or procedures
- Ability and willingness to work at sites located in high-risk, low-income communities
- Other duties as assigned
- Some weekend and evenings required
- Valid California driver’s license and auto insurance. Must provide own transportation, and be able to travel within Contra Costa County
Successful candidates must be able to pass a Live Scan background check, and provide valid proof of a negative TB skin test as a condition of employment.
Ability to speak a second language; Spanish preferred.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Salary rate is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible to accrue monthly vacation and sick leave.
About First 5 Contra Costa
First 5 Contra Costa helps young children grow up healthy and ready to learn during the most important time in their development. We have nearly 20 years of experience funding innovative programs and advocating for policies that produce better futures for our children. Since our inception, First 5 Contra Costa has invested more than $140 million in Prop. 10 revenues to programs and services that help Contra Costa’s children get the best start in life. Learn more at www.first5coco.org.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and include a brief letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position.
Or mail to First 5 Contra Costa, HR, QI Coach, 1485 Civic Court, Suite 1200, Concord, CA 94520.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered. The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer