The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
LCV is seeking a Prospect Research Associate to enhance the individual and institutional major gifts fundraising program of LCV and its sister organization, LCV Education Fund. The Prospect Research Associate is primarily responsible for preparing donor research summaries, tracking and sharing progress towards development goals, and ensuring accuracy of database records. This position is an opportunity for a self-motivated, curious, analytical individual to build a career in fundraising with a prominent environmental organization.
- Work with Director of Prospect Research and Portfolio Management to develop a thorough understanding of skills and practices in donor research, including searching public records, databases, social media, internet, and proprietary resources to identify and document relevant information on existing and prospective donors to LCV and LCVEF.
- Support the Director in maintaining and updating LCV’s President and Major Gifts team’s portfolios and outreach lists including preparation for prospect and portfolio review meetings.
- Produce well written, thorough and accurate briefing documents that follow LCV’s research guidelines and research product templates, as assigned.
- Evaluate information from various sources and highlight the most meaningful information to produce materials for LCV's President, Executive staff and the Major Gifts team. Identify new sources of information as they become necessary and/or available.
- Keep LCV’s database updated with relevant research and maintain appropriate donor and research codes on records.
- Develop and maintain a familiarity with LCV’s existing top donors and prospective donors.
- Contribute to organizational and department efforts to infuse racial justice and equity into all aspects of our work, including our fundraising and prospect research. Proactively identify ways to highlight the organization’s racial justice commitment to key stakeholders.
- Develop a broad awareness of LCV and LCVEF’s programs to support the identification of individuals and institutions whose philanthropic interests align with our priorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Must have at least 1+ years of work experience with a nonprofit or campaign (internship experience acceptable). Experience in nonprofit fundraising, development research preferred. Proficiency in Excel and database experience is required. Experience with online research tools such as LexisNexis, iWave Prospect Research Online, WealthEngine or FoundationSearch, desirable. Experience with Salesforce reporting and/or basic SQL queries and/or advanced Excel also preferred.
- Skills: Strong writing skills are required. Must have strong attention to detail and the ability to take in information from multiple sources, evaluate it, and summarize its significance. Must be able to multi-task, be flexible in shifting priorities based on urgent needs, and possess the confidence to ask for help when needed. Ideal candidate has calculated curiosity and the discipline to find what they need, analyze it, and clearly communicate relevant conclusions. Ability to adapt to new online, task management, and information management tools.
- Cultural Competence: Shares LCV’s commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
- Conditions: Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and successfully meet deadlines. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Prospect Research Associate” in the subject line by May 9, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with