About the Organization
We need clean air and water, a stable climate, and healthy and vibrant communities for all. The mission of the Mosaic initiative is to build the power of the U.S. environmental field to achieve this vision by strengthening movement infrastructure—the connections and shared resources all social movements need to succeed. Mosaic will launch in spring 2019, led by a diverse & rotating governance body of leaders from environmental nonprofits and philanthropy, supported by a small staff. With ideas sourced from the field and guidance from a community of participating organizations, Mosaic will make grants that build field-wide connections and shared resources. Topics include communications, leadership development, tools and training, knowledge about the field, and strengthening relationships and trust. Innovative in its focus and approach, Mosaic aims to make transformative investments that amplify the power of the environmental field.
Mosaic is hiring a Project Manager to help launch the initiative and implement this ambitious vision. S/he will work closely with the Director to establish and support the Mosaic governing body, and work to engage and network members of the broader Mosaic community. The Project Manager will also help implement the initiative’s inclusive grant-making process and will support day-to-day operations. The ideal candidate excels at bringing together people with diverse experiences and perspectives for a common cause. Mosaic is a start-up, and s/he will have the resourcefulness, flexibility, self-direction, and good humor to operate effectively on a small team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
The Project Manager will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of environmental NGOs and philanthropies across the U.S. in order to create a more connected, effective, and inclusive environmental movement. The Project Manager will be Mosaic’s second full-time team member, which means that s/he will help influence the direction and formation of the initiative. The successful candidate will be passionate about thinking about how change happens and energized by working collaboratively with field organization to support the movement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Mosaic staff team will be responsible for successfully launching and implementing the initiative. The Project Manager will work closely with the Director on the following:
Community engagement | Growing the Mosaic community and facilitating opportunities for the community to connect by:
- Tracking the growth and development of a community of 90+ NGO’s and philanthropies
- Drafting regular updates about Mosaic’s activities
- Supporting efforts to broaden and build an inclusive Mosaic community that reflects the diversity of the environmental movement, with particular attention to including historically marginalized people and organizations
- Supporting in-person and virtual meetings to connect the Mosaic community around strategy and grantmaking activities
Governance support | Enabling effective decision-making by Mosaic’s governance groups, focused on strategy and grantmaking, by:
- Supporting meeting preparation, including development of meeting materials, and presentations
- Drafting communications to the governance groups to keep them informed of Mosaic’s day-to-day progress and solicit input in between meetings
- Conducting research and otherwise supporting the work of the governance groups
Operations | Managing internal operations, by:
- Helping coordinate between Mosaic’s fiscal sponsor and contractors
- Preparing reports and other funder requirements
We’re seeking candidates who excel at collaboration and are passionate about the environment. We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and with a variety of skills, experiences, and ideas.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An ability to foster collaboration and relationship-building among people and organizations with different perspectives and experiences;
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience, which has yielded an understanding of how social movements work and interest in how change happens; knowledge of environmental issues and philanthropy a plus;
- An ability to forge new relationships and represent Mosaic in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner;
- An ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; a highly-motivated, resourceful, self-starter;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and the ability—and desire—to collaborate effectively in complex environments;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills; a strategic and creative thinker;
- Strong organizational skills with excellent attention to detail and commitment to high quality work;
- A history of operating successfully and with enthusiasm in evolving circumstances, particularly at the start-up phase of an organization or company;
- Flexibility, emotional intelligence, positive attitude, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor;
- Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills; Salesforce or other CRM platform experience a plus;
- Ability and willingness to travel within the U.S.
Compensation and Location
Mosaic offers an excellent benefits package and a salary between $65,000 and $90,000 that is commensurate with experience. This position will be located in San Francisco, CA.
CEA Recruiting is assisting the Mosaic initiative with this search. To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements through CEA’s job portal. This position will remain open until filled.
The Mosaic initiative is an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
CEA Recruiting works with leading environmental nonprofits, foundations, and businesses to recruit top talent and design effective organizational staffing strategies. For more information, visit www.cearecruiting.com.