Hispanics in Philanthropy (HIP) is a transnational network of grantmakers committed to strengthening Latino communities across the Americas. HIP connects and convenes funders, nonprofits, researchers, and other leaders to identify emerging needs among Latinos as well as best practices for responsive and effective funding of social change. HIP pioneers new philanthropic models by leading collaborative initiatives and has provided grants and training to help build the capacity of more than 600 organizations and leaders.
The Programs Associate, Operations plays an integral role managing the programs operations and budgeting and will be responsible for supporting HIP’s director of programs and strategy to develop and support systems for effective organizational operations, program support, and local and regional events coordination. The Programs Associate, Operations is responsible for the financial, operational, and administrative functions that support overall HIP program management and the implementation of its programs, including programs on forced mobility, civic participation, leadership, and health and education equity. They will work closely with the HIP programs team to develop, refine, and manage financial and operational systems. They will also lead on the development of information systems and operational procedures to support program implementation and programmatic and financial data analysis. They will perform administrative tasks, including logistics and scheduling, on an as-needed basis.
As this position requires cross-team coordination and innovative systems implementation, they must: have initiative and drive in creating effective systems for smooth coordination of programs activities; take a strategic and big-picture approach to solving problems; and possess good judgment and confidence to make reasoned decisions that resolve and advance various projects.
Supervisor – Director of programs and strategy
Operations & Administration (45% est. allocated time)
- Develop and track program budgets and partner with Director of Program and Strategy and Director of Leadership and Learning
- Advancement to provide financial oversight and reporting for programs to various stakeholders including managing contracts with consultants, processing invoices, managing allocation of funds, and reconciling monthly financial statements.
- Support HIP’s technology needs, including MailChimp, Canva, Asana, Slack, Zoom, website and Salesforce administration, particularly in response to events, webinars, and outreach to partners
- Contribute and coordinate program planning and implementation as needed
- Prepare expense reports, process receipts, write emails, coordinate scheduling, and create systems for improved efficiency and communications of these processes
- Support with human resources as needed, including posting job adverts and initial screening of applications
- Coordinate and organize HIP membership communications, including gathering member lists from organizational/ institutional members, sending and updating member lists in Salesforce, and other administrative tasks, in coordination with HIP membership director
Systems design, implementation, and monitoring (20% est. allocated time )
- Oversee the information systems and operational systems for programs
- Develop, refine, and maintain processes to facilitate relationships between HIP, consultants, and grantee partners, including creating templates, defining roles and responsibilities, and testing technology solutions to improve information sharing and tools that support program implementation
- Create and maintain data tracking and evaluation systems and provide monitoring reports and other data analysis
- Maintain and update online database systems
- Suggest new and better ways of organizing workflow to improve efficiency
Local and Regional Event Planning (15% est. allocated time)
- Spearhead all logistics efforts for local and regional events, including speaker outreach, program content, marketing, registration, day-of coordination, and follow up
- Assist in tracking and following up with event sponsors to gather key information and process payment
- Assist in creation of events invitations, fliers, and emails and tracking registration of participants
- Manage and track event budgets, timelines, and targets for local and regional events
Development (10% est. allocated time)
- Coordinate payment processing for incoming grants, memberships, and donations
- Track and file donor records in Salesforce and Google Drive
- Ensure that donors are thanked and acknowledged promptly upon receiving grant payments or donations
- Maintain and improve storage system of HIP’s info on grants portals, online donation portals, workplace giving accounts, etc.
Office coordination (10% est. allocated time)
- Take a proactive role in organizing the office, including keeping supplies well-stocked, ensuring plants are watered, coordinating tech and furniture needs, and other office-related requests, as approved by supervisor
- Identify and create systems for maintaining an organized office, in consultation with supervisor
- Coordinate with building manager and respond to needs of subtenant
- Support healthy communication flows among Oakland staff
- Participate in staff and membership meetings or committees as needed
- Support the planning and running of national events and regional convenings
- Provide board reports and information as requested
- Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 3+ years of experience in programs coordination, organizational operations assistance, event coordination and/or development
- Committed to social justice and intersectional equity
- Demonstrated strong systems development and financial management experience
- Project coordination experience, success managing multiple projects at the same time
- Experience establishing monitoring and tracking systems
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, detail oriented, and ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Self-starter, with high interest in learning and taking initiative with a high level of professional and ethical standards
- Ability to manage high-pressure situations and respond to the unexpected
- Accuracy and clarity in all writing, research, and editing tasks
- Fluid and competent with mastering multiple information technologies, e.g., data and knowledge management systems including Google Drive and Salesforce
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Prior experience engaging with philanthropic institutions, including but not limited to philanthropic or nonprofit institutional management and development
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred, but not essential
- Experience and high comfort level in multicultural or international environments
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
This position requires 5+ hours per day sitting, meeting, computer keying. Most work is completed in an office setting, and ability to travel to meetings, trainings, networking events is required.
Hispanics in Philanthropy offers a range of benefits for full time employees including medical, dental, vision, 401K matching, commuter check benefits, discounts on services, as well as sick, vacation, and paid holiday time.
Hispanics in Philanthropy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply:
Please email the following materials to [email protected] Include your name and the title for this position (“Your name – Programs Associate, Operations”) in the subject line of your email.
- Thoughtful cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this role and organization, including
- Your available start date
- 2 short writing samples that showcase your ability to write clear, concise, and compelling content with a high level of analysis and creativity for different audiences
- 3 references available upon request during the application process
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with applications encouraged by November 28. Please note that due to a high volume of applicants, HIP will only contact candidates selected for an interview. Candidates whose applications do not complete the aforementioned requirements will not be considered.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with