GEO is a diverse community of more than 500 grantmakers working to reshape the way philanthropy operates. We are committed to advancing smarter grantmaking practices that enable nonprofits to grow stronger and more effective at achieving better results. The GEO community provides grantmakers with the resources and connections to build knowledge and improve practice in areas that are proven to be most critical to nonprofit success. GEO does this by developing conferences and peer learning programs, producing original research for publications and other resources, and providing networking tools to connect members with like-minded peers. For more information visit www.geofunders.org.
Under the supervision of a program manager, the program specialist will work as part of the eight-person program team to develop and deliver high-quality peer learning opportunities, speaking engagements and other GEO programming. The program specialist is a strong project manager who is a natural self-starter, has a knack for keeping track of loose ends, can easily toggle back and forth between multiple projects without missing a beat, loves to keep up with what is happening in the field, is energized by meeting new people and is always on the look out for opportunities to make connections to GEO’s work. S/he is committed to providing excellent customer service, both to external stakeholders (such as GEO members and other grantmakers) as well as GEO staff.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line: GEO Program Specialist. Applications must be received by July 20, 2015. We will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your cover letter please address the following:
- Where did you see you the position posted?
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- What experience do you have representing an organization or community and giving presentations?
- What appeals to you about working at GEO?
If you were working with us, here are some of the things you would have done last week
- Spoken to three grantmakers who were recently featured in a GEO publication to identify speakers for an upcoming workshop
- Worked with team members to handle logistics for a multi-day convening of a GEO peer learning cohort
- Co-facilitated a member call to orient new members to resources offered by GEO
- Researched upcoming conferences in the field where we might share some of GEO’s new content
- Drafted a session proposal to showcase the key concepts from one of GEO’s publications at an upcoming conference
- Attended a conference hosted by a colleague organization to identify potential links with
- GEO’s work, networked with potential partners, and reported back to the team about emerging ideas in the field
- Participated in a kickoff planning meeting with three other staff to plan our fall all staff picnic
- Bachelor’s degree and four to seven years of work experience, within nonprofit or philanthropic organizations
- Outstanding interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge about philanthropy and organizational effectiveness
- Previous project management experience; ability to prioritize and manage a workflow that involves interruptions and multiple projects at the same time
- Natural self-starter
- Flexible and excited to work with others in a team environment
Salary and Benefits
GEO offers a competitive salary (high $40Ks) and a generous benefits package, including 100 percent employer paid health insurance, three weeks vacation, twelve sick days and a generous employer retirement contribution, along with a Metro accessible location in downtown D.C.
Grantmakers for Effective Organizations provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with