Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), widely recognized as the nation’s premier community development intermediary, has a 30-year history of investing in community-based organizations focused on rebuilding urban neighborhoods and rural communities. LISC works throughout the nation to assist its various partners to implement our comprehensive, place-based community revitalization strategy that we call Building Sustainable Communities. Through our investments and technical assistance, LISC works with our partners to make communities good places to work, do business and raise children. For more information about LISC visit www.lisc.org.
Greater Newark LISC seeks an individual with a passion for strengthening communities to join its highly productive and capable staff as a Program Officer. This position will oversee and manage the continued growth and program elements of all income and asset building activities at Greater Newark LISC, specifically the launch of two Financial Opportunity Centers (FOC). The core mission of the FOC is to provide employment and career services focused on employment placement and career improvement, financial education and coaching, and access to public benefits. We invite people to apply who have experience working with diverse populations and who possess general expertise in community development, and/or specific expertise in workforce development and program management. This position is funded for two years with additional employment years contingent upon performance based benchmarks.
Key Responsibilities: The LISC Program Officer will be charged with managing the RFP & selection process, launch, and operational success of the two new FOCs in Newark, NJ. The Program Officer will be responsible for assisting with hiring FOC front-line staff, administering the proper training to FOC host organizations, researching and applying for grants to maintain the FOC, and working with advocates and partners to secure greater support for this comprehensive approach to building family wealth and assets.
The Program Officer will be a part of Greater Newark LISC’s overall efforts to invest in strengthening low-income communities and work closely with the Greater Newark LISC staff and the National LISC FOC staff to ensure that all relevant programmatic linkages are made.
Specific Duties include:
• Provide direct technical assistance to FOC grantees, identifying opportunities for programmatic growth.
• Track performance through Efforts to Outcomes software and provide additional training as needed.
• Asses the strength of programmatic performance and provide visionary leadership and program management assistance to grantees.
• Manage the program and identify growth opportunities for the Financial Opportunities Centers in Newark, including maintaining a detailed knowledge of the various organizations and stakeholders involved in the FOC programs.
• Write, disburse and manage investment and monitoring of operating grants for the selected FOC sites, technical assistance related to the utilization of program tracking software, and the identification of best practices related to the operations of FOCs.
• Develop collaborative arrangements with other financial and philanthropic institutions to support the initiatives.
• Provide specialized financial management technical assistance and problem solving support to community partners implementing FOCs.
• Coordinate with LISC’s National Director of Family Income and Wealth Building on the development and oversight of the program.
• Coordinate and oversee consultants and other providers contracted to give services to the programs and the participants.
• Assume responsibility for special projects, as assigned.
• 4-6 years relevant experience with implementing workforce development initiatives or financial coaching.
• Demonstrated experience with government contract management; data management and reporting.
• Experience in working with a variety of community, public, and private sector actors to design and implement programs related to neighborhood revitalization and/or family economic stability.
• Familiarity with New Jersey workforce development programs desired but not mandatory.
• Familiarity with the Newark community development landscape desired but not mandatory
• Excellent speaking, writing and team building skills.
• Ability to travel frequently within Newark and occasionally outside of NJ.
• Flexible, resourceful, self-starter able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Highly motivated individual with a demonstrable commitment to the field of community development and/or workforce development.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Compensation: LISC offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Please submit a one page cover letter that describe your professional background, demonstrates the competencies we are seeking and what about working at Greater Newark LISC will excite/challenge you the most.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter Greavia email to Candace Johnson at [email protected] or by regular mail to:
Rhonda Lewis, Executive Director
17 Academy Street, Suite 912
Greater Newark LISC
Newark, NJ 07102
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION