Media Democracy Fund (MDF) seeks a skilled manager with strong coordination and systems management expertise to fulfill its Program Manager position. The Program Manager is responsible for the management of grants, contracts, and programmatic work products from concept to implementation. With an emphasis on process and systems, the person in this position will be charged with extensive project management, and will work across all team functions to support grant making and program efforts. This is a full-time position with limited travel. Residency or willingness to reside in an East Coast city is preferred.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Support Director of Programs to ensure that all grants, contracts, and major initiative efforts operate in a smooth and efficient manner
- Provide systems management for Foundant, Sharepoint, and FileMaker Pro
- Manage communications and meetings, including Program Team agenda development and project management
- Attend retreats, etc. as a core member of the team
- Maintain files, documents, and shared communications systems
- Fulfill other duties as requested by the Director of Programs and Director of Special Projects
Grants and Contracts Management
In alignment with the grant review process, manage all grants and contracts, including:
- Develop, maintain, and manage annual grantmaking calendar
- Develop and maintain MDF’s Foundant grantmaking portal – with an eye toward performance enhancement
- Communicate with potential grantees to facilitate their proposals, reviewing their proposals and supporting materials
- Conduct oversight on grants and contracts to ensure complete proposals and accurate materials
- Participate in grant application and proposal reviews
- Prepare grantee and contractor summaries, materials, templates
- Create rapid response materials, including dockets and mini-dockets for distribution, review, and approval by committee
- Manage grant agreement letters and coordinate through to signing
- Work with contractors to request and submit invoices for payment on Sharepoint
- Monitor grantees and contractors regularly and provide updates on grantee/contractor performance, activities, needs, and opportunities
- Maintain grant and contract details in Filemaker
- Assist MDF Director of Special Projects with review of financial reports, contract and invoice review or submission, grant agreement review, and similar tasks pertaining to the management of the New Venture Fund relationship.
- Contribute to design, development, and management of organizational systems, including Filemaker Pro database, Foundant grants system, online organizational tools (Google Apps, Slack, Box, scheduling tools, travel management tools, and others, as needed) and development and maintenance of organizational communications, development, and programs management systems
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in project or systems management and administration;
- Experience working with a range of individuals in nonprofit organizations, foundations, and private sectors;
- Demonstrated organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines;
- Experience managing a collection of multiple independent projects;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Knowledge and use of technology and varying digital platforms;
- Comfort in using a range of communications platforms including Box, Slack, Google Apps, or equivalent organizational tools.
- Commitment to MDF’s mission, vision, core values, and unique position in the field;
- Demonstrated experience working effectively as part of a team and with colleagues of diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
- Comfort in working as part of a small, remote team with no central office
- Proven self-starter and organizer;
- Excellent oral presentation, writing, and interpersonal skills;
- Fluent in English
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to amalia deloney, Director of Programs, at hiring+EPIP@mediademocracyfund.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
About Media Democracy Fund
Media Democracy Fund is a catalyst for an open, secure and equitable internet. We bring together diverse voices to design inclusive and responsible solutions, and empower public interest advocates to create an environment where digital technologies and the internet have a long-term, positive impact on society.
New Venture Fund Careers
Media Democracy Fund is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.