About Beneficial State Foundation and Our Mission
Beneficial State Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to change the banking system for good. For decades banks have damaged our communities and our planet, accelerating both economic inequality and environmental disaster. This harmful way of banking must stop and our strategy to both demonstrate and reshape banking practices and behaviors reflects the multi-pronged approach we take to systems change. In partnership with our communities and our allies, Beneficial State Foundation works to transform the banking industry in two ways: as a banking system change agent and advocate, and as a bank owner, investor, and practitioner.
As a systems change agent, we engage in policy and regulatory advocacy, banking industry relations, and field building to support, convene, and build capacity with equitable banking partners. As a bank owner, investor, and practitioner, we develop and test equitable banking standards and metrics. We measure the social and environmental impact of Beneficial State Bank. We also house California’s Clean Vehicle Program, an initiative that provides low- and middle-income Californians with grants to purchase clean vehicles. We partner with Beneficial State Bank to provide auto loans at a fair interest rate to eligible participants in the program.
We are a small but effective team grounded in social justice and strong core values. You can read more about Beneficial State Foundation’s core values here.
We have offices in Oakland (headquarters) and Fresno, California and Portland, Oregon.
The Program Manager works as a part of a team of staff advancing Beneficial State Foundation’s policy advocacy, industry relations, and field building work. This role holds a variety of responsibilities related to policy advocacy research and analysis, program planning and support, project management, and stakeholder engagement.
- Classification: Regular, Full Time, Exempt
- Location: This position will be based at our office in Oakland, CA.
- Reports to: Policy Advocacy and Field Building Director
- Manages: no direct reports
The starting salary for manager level positions (without direct reports) in Oakland is $63,000.
Beneficial State Foundation offers Medical, Dental, & Vision, 401(k), Paid Time Off, Paid Volunteer hours, Donation match ($250 annually), green commute stipend ($100 monthly) and wellness activity stipend ($50 monthly).
This job operates in a professional office environment. The work environment includes an open layout office and requires employees to conduct computer and phone based work for extended periods of time.
After 3 months of employment, Beneficial State Foundation offers remote working flexibility dependent on job function and manager approval.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct and manage policy research projects and policy positions
- Track relevant legislation and prepare briefs and/or reports for Beneficial State team and external communications channels
- Collaborate with team on stakeholder engagement and management
- Engage in grassroots advocacy and direct lobbying (e.g. letter-writing, arranging and attending visits with elected officials and/or regulatory agencies)
- Monitor state and federal level policies to understand banking policy landscape
- Serve as a regular contributor to Beneficial State Foundation blog and newsletter
- Build strong relationships with external stakeholders, program/campaign partners
Equitable Banking Standards
- Project management for development, feedback, stakeholder engagement, and dissemination of equitable banking standards
- Content development including key messages and overview documents for outreach meetings
- Contribute to partnerships strategy, including owning and stewarding relationships
- Event management and logistics
- Speak at and attend events on behalf of Beneficial State Foundation
- Special projects as assigned
We are passionate about developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet every qualification listed below, we urge you to apply. Transferable skills are any skills gained through education, work experience (including the military), or life experience that are relevant for this position. Be sure to describe any transferable skills in your cover letter and clearly explain how they apply to this position.
- Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education and transferrable experience
- 5+ years work experience preferred
- Flexibility in schedule that allows travel up to 20% of time, some evening engagements, and occasional weekend commitments.
- Must be able to work autonomously and pro-actively with high-level direction
- Keen awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations, including comfort and flexibility working with remote staff
- Commitment to social, economic, and racial justice and background working in these areas
- Strong project manager with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, pushing to meet deadlines (familiarity with Basecamp is a plus); must remain cool and calm under pressure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; must be an articulate and persuasive communicator to all levels
- Direct knowledge of public policy and demonstrated experience with policy analysis and research
- Experience with stakeholder management and/or working on issue advocacy grassroots campaigns, particularly those advancing economic justice
- Experience with and/or willingness to do public speaking
- Experience working with industry associations and / or managing relationships with senior business leadership a plus
- Enjoys relationship-building and networking
- Demonstrates interest in contributing to and working by Beneficial State Foundation’s Core Values
How to Apply
By April 26th, please submit a cover letter and resume through Fitzii: https://www.fitzii.com/apply/38589
To ensure candidates are fully engaged with the details of this posting, please include the following in your cover letter: pick one of Beneficial State Foundation’s Core Values that resonates the most with you and tell us why.
Beneficial State Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including, but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
If there is anything we can do to accommodate you to participate fully in the recruitment or interview process, please let us know.