About the Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American Cities. With a $3.8 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the Position
The Program Coordinator, reporting to the Vice President, Chief Program and Strategy Officer (“VP of Programs”) and the Director of Strategic Learning, Research, and Evaluation (“L&E Director”), is responsible for coordinating, planning, and implementing projects that span the Foundation’s programs and learning activities. Projects may include learning and evaluation analysis, special projects, and/or departmental coordination and administrative support.
Among other responsibilities, the role helps to coordinate, shape and implement grantmaking for the Opportunity Fund, which focuses on access to justice, protecting human dignity, and strengthening democracy – including issues that impact the foundation’s urban opportunity frame. Along with the VP of Programs and L&E Director, the Program Coordinator is also responsible for the effective administrative functioning of Cross-Program and Learning & Evaluation activities.
This position is a two-year appointment with the possibility of an additional one-year extension (based on performance and Foundation need).
General Administration and Team Coordination (40%)
- Serve as overall project manager and coordinator for the Programs Department and L&E team, keeping current with tasks for each activity, including dates and deliverables, meeting agendas, and notes.
- Monitor and drive program timelines, board deadlines, key dates, upcoming events, and meeting planning.
- Review department objectives and work plans regularly and suggest operational innovations to improve efficiency and efficacy.
- Assist with budget management and tracking, including:
- Analyzing, assembling and tracking financial information to provide ongoing support and ensure overall operations are within budget.
- Monitoring budget allocations, expenditures and related financial activities to ensure all allocations and expenses are accurate.
- Collaborating with internal personnel (e.g., Managing Directors, Finance Department) to implement and maintain budgets.
- Facilitate active communication between Program, L&E and the Executive Office to ensure effective and efficient work flow.
- Ensure effective schedule management:
- Schedule a high volume of meetings and convenings.
- Coordinate calendars, assemble meeting materials, make meal arrangements, and confirm appointments.
- Interact regularly with high-level local and national business, government, and non-profit leaders.
- Coordinate business travel, airfare bookings, accommodation arrangements, car services, and Outlook itineraries.
- Manage distribution lists; create charts, excel spreadsheets, and power point presentations; proofread memos; complete decline letter templates; and prepare correspondence.
- Assemble Board materials, including updates for the Opportunity Fund, adhering to the process and deadlines set by the Executive Office.
- Process expense reports, resolving discrepancies with Finance.
- Manage consulting contracts on an ongoing basis, including routing approvals, distributing executed documents to external consultants and Finance, and overseeing invoices to ensure negotiated amounts stay within budget.
- Maintain and update Program and L&E intranet pages, and document management systems for both departments.
- Prepare mailings and shipments of materials as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Project Management: Opportunity Fund (40%)
- Provide overall Fund project management and coordination, keeping current with tasks for each activity, including dates and deliverables, meeting agendas, notes, and budget.
- Track and present data analysis of current and future grantmaking.
- Support grantmaking through activities that may include:
- Drafting grant write-ups
- Conducting due diligence
- Communicating with grantees
- Reading interim reports
- In conjunction with L&E Director, help shape the Opportunity Fund’s learning activities
Program and Strategic Learning & Evaluation Support (20%)
- Serve as primary interface and logistics point person to internal and external partners including contractors for the VP of Programs and the L&E function.
- Coordinate activities such as lunch and learns, program forums, retreats, Foundation-wide learning events, projects related to cross-foundation issues, cross-team evaluations, and visits from external guests.
- Conduct research and prepare written reports and presentations as directed by the VP of Programs and L&E Director for speeches, Board-related content, and other cross-foundation issues.
- Support cross-team evaluations by gathering background documents such as write-ups and final reports.
- Support content of foundation learning events through material preparation, participant surveys, analysis of results, and development of recommendations for future learning events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 2 years of professional work experience, with demonstrated increase of responsibility over time.
- Demonstrated interest in community development, public administration, and/or urban planning.
- Working knowledge of one or more of the Foundation’s Program areas desirable.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work with all resources for flawless project implementation.
- Effective time management skills, with demonstrated ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work with many personalities and successfully navigate organizational work culture.
- Strong customer service orientation for engaging with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and partners.
- Strong ability to solve problems creatively.
- Ability and desire to take initiative to achieve project goals.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Strong social and collaboration skills.
- Dedication to expanding opportunity for low-income people.
- Commitment to the Foundation's vision and values (stewardship, respect, creativity, partnership and opportunity) with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
- Takes a learning stance.
Click here to apply. Application deadline for this position is April 30th, 2019
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.