About the Foundation
The Sobrato Family is committed to building a strong and vibrant Silicon Valley community through business and philanthropic leadership. To support these efforts, the Sobrato Family Foundation operates as a place-based grantmaker that invests exclusively in organizations serving those most in need in Santa Clara, San Mateo and Southern Alameda counties. The Foundation’s portfolio utilizes both cash and real estate to achieve maximum impact, providing multi-year cash grants for general operating support and in-kind office and meeting space at its three nonprofit centers located in Redwood Shores, San Jose and Milpitas. SFF has two strategic grantmaking platforms: 21st Century Education and Career Pathways. SFF also supports special initiatives such as its Early Academic Language program (SEAL) in schools serving preschool-grade 3.
About the Position
The Program Associate (PA) will work closely with the Program Director (PD) and a tight-knit team of staff in support of the Foundation’s smooth operations at all levels of its program work. The ideal candidate will be experienced in handling a wide range of program and executive related tasks and will be able to work independently with little or no supervision.
This person must be exceedingly well organized and enjoy the challenges of a growing organization and juggling multiple priorities. The ideal candidate will have the ability to interact with colleagues and the community in a fast paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient, with a high level of professionalism.
This person will demonstrate strong analytical skills to prepare memos, correspondence/emails, reports, presentations, and other documents as necessary with meticulous attention to detail. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong decision making ability are equally important.
This position will coordinate and support several key programs as well as the operational systems that support them:
Sobrato Centers for Nonprofits in Redwood Shores, Milpitas and San Jose:
- Be the first point of contact with nonprofits interested in leasing space; communicate process and timelines and answer any questions.
- Help ensure smooth leasing processes for in-kind space, managing tenant application processes from RFP development to finalizing in-kind lease agreements with selected nonprofits; prepare lease amendments, subleases, and other legal documents as required.
- Maintain full and accurate tenant files and database records of all pertinent information related to leases.
- Manage to closure the many administrative details associated with the Centers, including fees/charges for common areas maintenance, collections, property tax issues and welfare exemption filings (for the Foundation and in of support all 70 tenants).
- Maintain strong relationships and provide excellent customer service to tenants as needed.
- Manage the emergency preparedness protocols for the Centers, organizing drills and evaluating practices on an ongoing basis.
- Help build the community at the nonprofit centers, organizing and supporting tenant networking events.
- Troubleshoot issues that may occur at Centers, bringing to speedy resolution.
- Serve as a key point of contact for the conference center scheduling system and its vendor, troubleshooting problems as they arise and ensuring the system is stable.
- Provide back-up support to on-site staff at conference centers in San Jose, Milpitas and Redwood Shores during large events or illnesses, vacations.
- Manage event planning and key meetings, including communications, meeting materials, speaker confirmations and support as well as logistics related to facilities, catering, and A/V support.
- Support the Grants Management team to process grant applications, outcomes reports and grant payments.
- Become proficient in the grants management system: perform data entry, maintain accurate contact lists, generate and run reports.
- Utilize strong analytical skills to prepare reports, presentations, and other documents as necessary with meticulous attention to detail.
- Provide effective information management across email, phone, calendars and other systems.
- Ability to execute special projects as assigned.
- Schedule meetings and site visits for foundation personnel as needed.
- Handle correspondence for external inquiries via email and phone.
- Coordinate media inquiries in a timely manner including any needed follow-up.
- Assist with mass mailings and announcements.
- Assist with website content and updates, including community news and developments.
Qualifications and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum five years of related experience.
- Reflect a commitment to the highest standards of excellence.
- Work proactively with ability to constantly prioritize responsibilities in a fast moving and rapidly changing environment.
- Flexible and agile with work flow as well as potential changes and shifts to role and duties as the Foundation’s work evolves and grows.
- Independent work style with ability to effectively partner and collaborate with Program Director and other team members.
- Strong experience in Mac environment and commitment to use technology in the most effective manner.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and ability to learn and adapt to new software.
- Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to write clearly and succinctly with competent proof–reading ability.
- Sets the highest of expectations for personal and organizational standards and achievement.
- Can manage interruptions graciously and effectively.
- A strong sense of self-confidence, self-awareness.
- Keen judgment when facing multi-faceted issues.
- Ability to recognize and flag salient business/program issues.
- Experience in the nonprofit sector a plus.
- Experience working in databases a plus.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Highly competitive benefits package.
- Full-time, exempt position.
- Office hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Upload your resume, along with a cover letter explaining how your skills fit this position, in one combined pdf file. Materials reviewed on a rolling basis; position open until filled. Thank you!