The Schott Foundation for Public Education’s mission is to develop and strengthen a broad- based and representative movement to achieve fully resourced, quality preK-12 public education, giving every child an opportunity to learn. The Schott Foundation is a national leader in social justice philanthropy and public education advocacy. Schott strategically resources advocacy campaigns to provide students with an opportunity to learn by providing a hybrid of philanthropic supports, network building supports, communications supports, and policy advocacy supports. Schott makes it possible for communities across the country to address the race and income-based “opportunity gaps” that underlie achievement gaps – ultimately helping thousands of students, district-by-district and state-by-state. In helping to strengthen this movement, Schott recognizes its pivotal role as both funder and advocate in the social justice arena.
The Program Associate is a core member of Schott Foundation’s program team. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs and Advocacy, the Program Associate will support the programmatic goals and operational requirements of the foundation. The Program Associate has three primary areas of support: grantmaking, communications, and administrative support. The individual who fills this role should be committed to the foundation’s social justice mission, a strong team player, detail-oriented, flexible, and willing to take on new projects and responsibilities as needed. Strong writing and social media skills are required.
New York, NY
The successful candidate is a confident, analytical, and agile problem solver with the ability to handle several programmatic and administrative tasks simultaneously. The successful candidate also has a demonstrated educational background and/or professional interest in at least one or more areas of the foundation, including education policy, racial justice, and philanthropy.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Work collaboratively with the program team to track grant inquiries, grant proposals, existing grants, and grantee reports.
- Draft grant proposal summaries and other documents for grant approval meetings and board meetings as needed in partnership with the Director and the Vice President of Programs and Advocacy.
- Conduct research in new or emerging areas of the foundation’s strategy to help inform decision making.
- Attend events and meetings on behalf of the foundation as determined by the Vice President.
- Provide feedback on the Schott Foundation’s team strategy and work plan.
- Support the team in assessing and addressing the needs of grantees for technical assistance.
- Support foundation leadership with the development and coordination of technical assistance webinars and conference sessions.
- Collaborate with the fundraising team on special initiatives and cross-programmatic events.
General Communications Responsibilities:
- Support the Creative and Online Communications Director in developing foundation and affiliated website content, including: writing blog posts, website resource pages, video pages, and evergreen pages; soliciting and editing guest blog posts from allies; and tracking media hits and event updates.
- Coordinate all foundation social media platform updates and engage with social media allies.
- Write and lay out biweekly newsletter and other e-blasts in partnership with the Creative and Online Communications Director.
- Provide campaign and grantee communication support and technical assistance as assigned, which may include weekly newsletters, website updates, and social media engagement.
- Draft and edit other external communications as needed, such as op-eds or public comments by foundation leadership.
- Manage printing vendors and packaging and storage of print materials.
- Train and manage communications interns.
- Monitor and respond to the foundation’s general email accounts.
- Provide support for the development of the foundation’s Opportunity to Learn Network.
General Administrative Responsibilities:
- Support the Vice President of Programs and Advocacy in managing work flow for the program team, including tracking incoming projects or developing project ideas, initiating planning meetings with other staff, and ensuring projects are completed on time.
- Work closely with the Operations Manager and finance team in maintaining office systems such as filing, scheduling, and board meeting preparation.
- Learn, maintain, and where appropriate, suggest improvements to systems to enable smooth functioning of the foundation’s New York office.
- Serve as the first point of contact for people calling, e-mailing, or visiting the foundation’s New York office.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in supporting a fast-paced team, including developing shared plans and coordinating external and internal communications.
- Experience with grassroots organizing, policy advocacy, and/or philanthropy a plus.
- Excellent analytic, writing, and project planning skills. Advanced communication skills needed in writing and social media.
- Ability to manage multiple, often-conflicting deadlines; establish and negotiate timelines; and ensure timely delivery of high-quality work.
- Creativity, flexibility, sound judgment, and ability to take initiative and work independently as well as a part of a team.
- Effective interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with diverse staff, grantees, and consultants across varied geographies. A team player who can add value to the Schott team beyond his/her area of expertise.
- Outstanding organizational and project management experience, including the ability to move work from concept to implementation and completion.
- A strong sense of passion, purpose, and sense of humor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required; several years’ professional experience preferred.
The Schott Foundation for Public Education offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply: Please email your resume and cover letter with “Program Associate” in the subject line to: [email protected]
The Schott Foundation for Public Education is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and multicultural workplace.