ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
The Kenneth Rainin Foundation (Rainin Foundation) is a family foundation that collaborates with creative thinkers to enhance quality of life by championing the arts, promoting early childhood literacy, and supporting research to cure chronic disease. Founded in 2008, the organization believes in taking smart risks to achieve breakthroughs. Today, with a team of over 40 and total annual grants of approximately $20 million, the Foundation supports visionary artists in the Bay Area, creates opportunities for Oakland’s youngest learners, and funds researchers on the forefront of scientific discoveries to cure chronic disease. Through grantmaking and operations, the Foundation embraces the values of collaboration, leveraging of all assets, innovation, responsibility and equity. Inherent in our core values is a belief in compassion, respect, humor and joy.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Rainin Foundation seeks a self-motivated and highly organized Program Associate to join a collaborative team environment, providing administrative support to the Program team through a range of tasks, including grantmaking, research, data analysis, administrative, communications and events. The Program team consists of staff across our three primary funding areas: Arts, Education and Health.
The primary role of the Program team is to steward a compliant, efficient, equitable and interconnected grantmaking practice that is responsive to the learning and strategic needs of applicants, grantees, Foundation staff and external stakeholders. The Program team is integral to achieving the Foundation’s mission in partnership with other Foundation teams, including Grants Management, Communications, Accounting and the Executive Team.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Program Associate reports to the Director of Arts Strategy & Ventures and supports the grantmaking process, knowledge management, data analysis and administrative functions for the program team.
Program Strategy & Execution
- Collaborates with grants management and program teams to provide exceptional customer service for applications, reporting, shifts in grant programs, and other grant related activities during grant cycle.
- Collaborates with programs, finance and grants management on applicant financial review process.
- Proactively conducts independent research to support and advance the strategic aims of program initiatives, including developing and editing content for correspondence, reports, meetings.
- Participates in and helps document meetings and supports post-meeting tasks to produce collaborative work products and improve processes.
- Works with program and communications staff to draft communications, including blogs, announcements and website content.
- Learns and understands program area strategies and supports the preparation of grant recommendations, memoranda and other correspondence.
- Stays informed of relevant trends, policies and issues in philanthropy and the nonprofit sector.
- Provides project support and initiates and oversees other activities as assigned.
- Maintains and tracks the grant and operations budget for program areas.
- Maintains and manages program calendar.
- Provides project support and initiates and oversees other activities and projects as
- Coordinates team calls and team calendaring,
- Schedules and plans logistics of internal and external meetings, including notetaking and meeting follow-up.
- Assists with preparation for board meetings.
- Keeps Program staff informed of program-related activities.
- Maintains close coordination with the grants management team and other staff to accomplish program goals and objectives.
Knowledge Management, Learning & Assessment
- Uses grants data, data visualization and other tools to interpret, report and present the Foundation’s grantmaking for internal and external audiences.
- Supports the program team in its learning and assessment of practices and work.
- Works closely within cross-departmental teams to facilitate information sharing.
- Supports the program assistant in maintaining a library, including resource materials, videos and other media.
Collaboration and Leadership
- Facilitates transparency and cross-departmental communications among Foundation teams.
- Contributes actively in staff meetings and cross-departmental teams.
- Participates in organization-wide activities to promote Foundation values and cultural touchstones.
- Engages in activities that facilitate learning about best practices in the field to improve Foundation policies and practices.
- Represents the Foundation by responding to inquiries and attending meetings, events and conferences.
We’re looking for someone
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience; experience in the nonprofit sector is highly desired
- Strong analytical and project management skills and experience
- Ability to identify, collect, organize and synthesize information from a variety of sources
- Rigorous attention to detail and administrative skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Basecamp
- Previous database experience is preferable
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with quantitative data, budgets and financial information
- A proactive, collaborative attitude
- A desire to grow one’s own cultural competence and a dedication to participate in the Foundation’s work to integrate justice and equity into all facets of our work
- Passionate about administrative work and the nonprofit sector
- Committed to the Foundation’s mission, open-minded and committed to honest, candid conversations and self-reflection about race, racial justice and equity
- An active and supportive participant in building and maintaining a collaborative and inclusive workplace culture
- Emotionally intelligent and able to build strong relationships that inspire openness and trust
- Intellectually curious, insightful and resourceful
- Able to take initiative and drive work with moderate supervision and guidance
- Intentional about creating order, ensuring deadlines are met, and planning ahead
- Able to handle confidential information with complete discretion
- A strong team player (no job is too small or too big)
- A flexible problem-solver with a sense of humor who enjoys learning and is comfortable with ambiguity and change
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- The salary range for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
A comprehensive benefits package is included.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter using this link