The Program Associate works with the Director, Grassroots Programs to advance the Foundation’s grant-making and change-making activities, strategies, and initiatives in the Grassroots cross strategy area. As a key partner to the Director, this position requires an individual who has knowledge of and a passion for grassroots leaders, smaller organizations and deep interest in Greater Boston neighborhoods. In this position the Program Associate will support grant making, research, convenings, events, coordination and handle other administrative responsibilities.
- Support Program Director in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategies and investments in the Grassroots program area to ensure success and community impact;
- Maintain familiarity with best practices in the Grassroots grantmaking fields locally and nationally;
- Coordinate various activities for multiple grantmaking initiatives, including contributing to strategy, implementation logistics, internal and external communication, and evaluation;
- Conduct due diligence on grant proposals and manage Grassroots initiatives calendar;
- Prepare various written materials on a timely basis, including draft correspondence, meeting minutes, talking points, strategy updates, reports and other related materials;
- Assist Program Director in tracking and reporting on foundation grantmaking activities, including special initiatives and funder collaborations;
- Conduct basic research for strategy papers and memos and assist Program Director in preparing strategy documents for board meetings and other convenings;
- Under guidance of the Program Director, track and maintain program area impact and goals;
- Serve as key liaison to internal and external partners in planning and implementing events and initiatives;
- Coordinate, in conjunction with other colleagues, all aspects of meetings, convenings, and other events (including coordinating attendee schedules, invitations, meeting preparation, note taking, set-up and clean-up);
- Manage current calendars and appointments for the Grassroots Director; and perform other administrative tasks as required;
- Undertake special projects in collaboration with other departments as required, such as conference/meeting support and coordination;
- Participate in various other Program Department activities as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years professional work experience
- Combination of relevant education and/or work experience will be considered
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Knowledge of Grassroots area non-profits and leaders is strongly preferred;
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects; organize and coordinate projects with multiple components;
- Familiarity with diversity, equity and inclusion work as it relates to nonprofit sector;
- Coordinate teamwork and work as part of a team;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and implementing complex activities; and
- Computer skills utilizing Microsoft Office products. Skill with Excel and Power Point required.
- Understanding of and commitment to the Foundation’s mission
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- A participative work style and the ability to receive feedback;
- Resourceful and able to work independently;
- Mature interpersonal style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to use a computer monitor and keyboard for long periods of time
- Ability to carry up to 25 pounds
The content is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It is not intended to constitute an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act or applicable state law, must be able to perform the essential functions of the job (including those listed above) either with or without reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation, if any, will be determined by management in consultation with the employee on a case-by-case basis.
This job description is intended to be general and may be revised from time to time. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.