Who We Are:
The foundation’s work is based on the belief that human well-being, economic development, environmental protection and slowing population growth are inextricably connected. From the start, the mission has been to help facilitate women, men and their families to have the number of children they can financially and emotionally sustain by providing them with access to the information and services, particularly contraception and safe legal abortion, that enable them to do so. Erik and Edith firmly hold that if we are to leave anything to future generations, women and men must have the means they want and need to decide when and whether to have children. The Bergstrom Foundation focuses exclusively on family planning in Latin America, the Caribbean, United States and 9 countries in East Africa; Uganda, Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Rwanda, Tanzania, and South Sudan, with an emphasis on family planning service delivery. The foundation works with both large international organizations, like Marie Stopes International, and provides capacity building to grassroots and growing NGOs throughout these countries. The foundation currently is operated by five employees and makes grants of around $6 million annually to around 65 projects spanning 20 countries.
Title: Program Associate
Location: Palo Alto, California
About the Role:
We are looking for a candidate to take on an active role in the foundation’s work of managing, supporting, and evaluating Family Planning-related grants. Working closely with the COO, this position is for a motivated and passionate critical thinker wanting to help increase access and information to contraception in rural communities. It is imperative that the Program Associate have a deep rooted interest in Public Heath specific to Family Planning or Reproductive Health and understand that they will be operating under the foundation’s trust agreement. The Foundation encourages fresh perspectives and implementation of innovative strategies around any of the trust agreement restrictions that may increase our client’s global impact.
The Program Associate must be comfortable working in a small team and in a relatively close-knit environment very nearby the COO. The office is not your typical office setting - the Foundation operates out of a large residence in a local neighborhood. The Program Associate will be working and interacting with the COO around 40% of the time while the other 60% is carrying out duties autonomously. The starting date for this position will be once the right candidate is found.
What You Will Be Doing:
In regards to the day to day operations, considering the foundation currently has 5 employees, one of which is administrative, the Program Associate must be willing to do a variety of jobs.
- Supporting the Chief Operations Officer in managing the review process of the grant portfolio from proposal invitation through post-award
- Reviewing narrative and budgetary proposals and advising partners on project implementation strategies
- Assessing monthly, quarterly, and annual narrative and budgetary project reports in a timely manner, paying close attention to detail
- Monitoring and analyzing the performance of grantees and formulating recommendations based on results
- Assisting in organizing, composing, and managing program mailings and communications with current and potential grantees
- Finding innovative ways for the Foundation to improve internal operational efficiencies, relationships with existing grantees, collaborate, increase impact, etc.
The dedication of time breakdown is as follows:
30%: Evaluating grant proposals and budgets
45%: Analyzing financial and impact reports and create key insights to inform COO in decision making
15%: Corresponding with grantees about their progress and challenges
10%: Researching and implementing foundation strategies for both increased internal operational efficiency or grant making, monitoring and evaluation
What You Have to Offer:
- Demonstrated ability in quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to extract critical information from data and narratives
- Passion for development, human rights, and capacity building work, with a strong interest in Family Planning and Sexual Reproductive Health
- Must have an understanding of grant work, such as reviewing and analyzing proposals and reports
- Close attention to detail and accuracy; personal initiative; reliability, flexibility and follow-up
- Proficiency using standard office software, like Microsoft Office Word and Excel, and demonstrated skill with web research tools
- Exceptional time management, organizational and communication skills
- Must be able and open to juggle multiple projects and job responsibilities at once
- Willingness to travel multiple times per year for up to 8 weeks at a time
- Possess at least two (2) years of experience in a relevant field
Your Alignment to the Mission and Culture of the Foundation:
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values
- Candidate must personally believe in woman’s rights and support family planning
- Action-orientated and innovative self-starter who can work well independently and in teams
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
Preferred but Not Required:
- Experience working in an NGO, especially with a focus on family planning
- Experience working in or with Latin American or East African context
- Written and oral fluency in either Spanish, Portuguese, or Swahili is a plus!
- Advanced Degree in Public Health or related field
Compensation and Benefits:
This rewarding role offers the opportunity to work within a growing and progressive organization while providing support to those in need and making contributions that matter! In addition to a competitive salary, this opportunity also includes an exceptional benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), and a 401k plan.
How to Apply:
For additional questions or to apply, please email your resume and a cover letter in MS Word (.doc or .docx) format to [email protected]