Downtown LA & Santa Monica, CA
The Durfee Foundation is a private family foundation that supports individuals and organizations in Los Angeles County, with a special emphasis on community development and nonprofit leadership.
The position of Program & External Relations Associate at the Durfee Foundation is ideally suited to a candidate who wishes to gain exposure to an extraordinary, cross-sector range of executive leadership and a bird’s-eye view of the social sector in Los Angeles. The Program & External Relations Associate will assist with the day-to-day operation of Sabbatical, Stanton and Springboard programs, including stellar fellow stewardship, communications with fellows, Durfee board of directors and general public, and the production and coordination of special events. The job should be approached with an expectation of a two- to three-year engagement with the Foundation.
The position of Program & External Relations Associate reports to the Executive Director and, as needed and frequently, collaborates with the Operations Associate. The ideal candidate for this entry-level position should be gracious, self-motivated, detail-oriented and technologically proficient with interest in developing a career in the philanthropic, nonprofit, public or social benefit sector.
The job comes with excellent benefits, and potential for growth into more programmatic responsibility.
- Lead production and execution of events, i.e., secure venue, catering; solicit and track RSVPs, manage onsite logistics
- Content support for convening
- Point of contact for vendors & services
- Monitor expenses and adhere to event budget
- Be present and take minutes at each convening
Fellow and Trustee Stewardship
- Principal contact for Trustee/board communication and board meeting logistics
- Track contract/grant details to ensure payment received and reports submitted on time
- Grant Selection Panel book presentation
- Schedule and coordinate the Panel’s site visits & interviews with prospective grantees
- Outreach to grant applicants
- Draft content for biweekly e-newsletter distributed to Trustees/board
- Responsibility for office management, i.e., sorting the mail, answering and directing phone calls.
- Administrative support for all program activities
- Manage online grant application portal
- Communicate application receipt, status and decline with applicants in timely manner
- Maintain content for website (Wordpress) and social media (Twitter and Facebook)
- Strong computer skills in Mac OS High Sierra, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Wordpress
- Familiarity with online application systems and database management
- Events production, or implementation of extended projects
- Good written and oral communications
- Strong organizational skills
- Customer service orientation, including excellent telephone demeanor
- Good judgment, diplomacy in dealing with a variety of people and circumstances
- Attention to detail, initiative and follow-through
- Ability to work both independently and as a team, and to follow instructions with minimum supervision
- Capacity to prioritize work and manage multiple projects
- Flexibility, adaptability
- Passionate about Los Angeles and the social sector
- College degree and/or comparable work experience
- General knowledge of/interest in the nonprofit sector
- Graphic/web design skills a plus
- $42,000 - $45,000 depending on experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403b retirement fund, with employee match after one year
- Two weeks vacation
Start Date: October 2018
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address cover letter to: Claire Peeps, Executive Director
In your cover letter, please address the following questions:
What are your professional goals, and why?
What do you love about Los Angeles?
Please no phone calls.