We are a family foundation that is guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s leading technology companies. We invest in effective organizations and leaders, collaborate with them to identify strategic solutions, and support them over time to reach common goals. We aim to create a workplace culture and pursue policies and practices that demonstrate how we value diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are looking for a Program Assistant to serve in a 2-year limited-term position and join our team to provide programs across the Foundation with administrative and grantmaking support. You will be flexible, detail-oriented, have excellent time management capabilities, and the demonstrated skills to work effectively with others. You should enjoy a variety of work and have the desire to contribute to the work of the Foundation and its grantees. This Program Assistant will be a member of the Organizational Effectiveness team and will provide support across the various grantmaking departments in the Foundation at different times.
This position is an opportunity to learn about how the Packard Foundation supports leaders and organizations around the world to achieve their goals for improving the lives of children, families, and communities, advancing reproductive health, and restoring and protecting our planet. You will work with teams across the Foundation who are committed to supporting inspiring leaders and organizations around the world.
- Assist with organizing, maintaining, and updating electronic grant files
- Compose and/or proofread general correspondence, memos, grant summaries, and other documents, as needed
- Assist with tracking grantee report deadlines and reviewing reports as needed
- Organize, schedule, and take notes at meetings
- Update team documents and file documents stored in a web-based system
- Support grantmaking teams in the review process of the grant portfolio from proposal invitation through post award
- Work in an inclusive manner with integrity, sensitivity, and respect for others
- Assist in other administrative projects across the Foundation, special events, and Foundation-hosted meetings as needed
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as great attention to detail
- Capable of using technology and have demonstrated proficiency with computer skills, including a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook
- Demonstrated skills in working well and flexibly as a team member across multiple teams
- Ability to meet deadlines and to multi-task
- Highly organized and efficient
- Ability to exercise judgment in responding to phone calls, email, and in handling confidential information
- High level of cultural competency and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Position is limited-term for two years.
Education and Work Experience
Applicants should have a minimum of 2 years of administrative support work experience with a BA degree or a combination of postsecondary education and work experience.
Benefits and Compensation
The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and a salary that is commensurate with related work experience. This position is located in downtown Los Altos, CA. Commuter benefits such as a Caltrain pass are available.
Candidate must have the ability to communicate via voice telephone, read and understand written communication, and generate written communication manually and using a computer. Candidate must also be able to work at a desk for long periods of time (2-3 hours), lift and move documents and supplies (not to exceed 20 lbs.), and bend to file or retrieve documents.
Please send an email referring to job number 18-16-3930R in the subject line with a resume and a targeted one-page cover letter explaining your interest in this position and how your skills and work experience fit the position to [email protected].
No phone inquiries, please.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The Foundation uses an outside firm to check the accuracy of information supplied by applicants.
Principal applicants only.