Unique opportunity to lead a progressive watershed-based non-profit organization
The Penns Valley Conservation Association (PVCA) seeks a dynamic and motivated individual to serve as its second part-time Executive Director (ED). A growing environmental non-profit, PVCA has established itself as a vibrant and vital community-based conservation association over the past 20 years. Located in beautiful Penns Valley, outside of State College, PA, PVCA works closely with appropriate county, state, and federal agencies, as well as the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and other conservation allies. The ED, while reporting to the Board of Directors, will have overall strategic, financial, and operational responsibility for carrying out the PVCA mission. The ideal candidate has strong fundraising abilities and a solid business background, exhibits great attention to detail, has strong written, verbal and finance skills, and possesses an advanced understanding of environmental issues. S/he must be comfortable in a dynamic environment and exhibit high energy, integrity and the initiative to help shape the future of PVCA. This is currently a half-time contractual position with the opportunity to grow into a full-time salaried position.
Responsibilities of the Executive Director align with PVCA’s five strategic goals:
1. An educated and inspired watershed community that actively supports PVCA’s mission and vision;
2. Local, county and state elected and appointed officials supporting PVCA’s mission and goals;
3. Maintaining drinkable*, fishable and swimmable* quality water in surface and ground water sources (*legal terms);
4. Encouraging local businesses and small farms that result in job creation with environmentally sound practices;
5. Fostering stronger organizational development of PVCA.
Leadership and Management:
- Further develop PVCA’s operational plan, with goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization;
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations with the goal of growing the organization from primarily volunteer to a funded, staffed organization;
- Foster effective team work between the Board and the Executive Director as well as with PVCA’s volunteers and committees;
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services;
- Supervise and collaborate with part-time environmental education or other personnel;
- Monitor delivery of PVCA’s programs and services to maintain or improve quality.
Financial and Fundraising:
- Play the leading role in fundraising activities with the ability create a diverse and sustainable revenue plan by:o Developing and implementing strategies to recruit new donors, re-engage lapsed donors, and increase overall giving to meet and exceed annual fundraising goals; o Identifying and cultivating major gift prospects for annual giving and corporate giving; o Re-engaging mid-level donor support through cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities; o Articulating case for support and connecting donors to the impact of their gift
- Fulfill financial management responsibilities, including preparation and oversight of the accounting, annual budget, month-end board reports, and audit reports;
- Manage and oversee existing grants and budgets;
- Research funding sources and write grant proposals to increase the public-private partnerships toward organizational sustainability;
- Work with the Board (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive budget;
- Continue to develop Value Added Products to benefit PVCA.
- In conjunction with the President of the Board, act as a spokesperson for the organization and represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile;
- Establish and/or maintain good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, municipal leaders and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization;
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating an even stronger brand;
Education: Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Work history of progressive management experience with a proven record of developing and implementing a strategic growth plan;
- Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of potential donors;
- Prior experience in non-profit management, either as Executive Director or Program Manager;
- Successful record of working with a Board of Directors and the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations with the ability to set and achieve strategic and financial objectives;
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills;
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation;
- Proficiency in the use of computers for word processing, email and internet, website maintenance, email marketing.
- Knowledge of local natural and cultural history preferred
How to Apply: Submit resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to Jim Zubler, PVCA Board President, firstname.lastname@example.org by 7/17/15.
This is a half-time contractual position. Pay range commensurate with expertise and track record.