You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today. If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
- Manage payroll process across all managed non-profits, including leading the processing of exceptions, new hires and terminations, as well managing time and attendance tracking and personnel allocation assignment/maintenance
- Manage the payroll cycle, including managing the payroll calendar for internal stakeholders, and shepherding payroll through each stage of processing, review, submission and reconciliation
- Review/approve payroll entry, and input back-end payroll adjustments as appropriate
- Support senior director in final approval and submission of each payroll
- Coordinate off-cycle payroll process
- Coordinate garnishments and live checks as needed
- Act as go-to payroll expert for internal staff stakeholders and external clients, researching answers as needed
- Partner with the Senior Director in developing and supporting payroll-related objectives, outputs and standards. Special projects related to these objectives as assigned
- Act as system administrator for HRIS. Collaborates with HR Manager in rolling out additional components of the system as appropriate.
- Manage payroll documentation, including collection, review, storage, auditing, retention policies and distribution
- Manage integrity of data, including updating personnel files as appropriate
- Produce and distribute payroll reports cyclically and ad hoc
- Develop and maintain systems to streamline routine flow of payroll and tax information between human resources and finance department
- Work closely with finance department to reconcile inquiries, discrepancies and issues arising from payroll or payroll/tax-related bank activity
- Identify and lead cross-team payroll process, workflows and modes of data exchange changes
- Support quality control efforts for employee data, including routine audits of deductions, taxes, salary data, etc.
- Serve on team that develops engagement protocols for other internal teams such as the finance and compliance departments
- Manage timekeeping system compliance, following up with employees and supervisors
- Review and update federal and state tax filings with appropriate government entities and finance department for accuracy
- Work with Compliance Assistant to register in new states, input appropriate state tax, unemployment and disability information into the HRIS, and maintain reporting and compliance requirements in each state
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience in HR with at least two years’ experience strong payroll and tax related exposure in a multi-state environment, including California
- Experience administering HRIS, preferably Ultimate Software
- Experience in professional services environment, PEO or similar highly desired
- Experience managing high volume of tasks with shifting priorities and deadlines
Our Core Competencies:
- [Service Excellence] Ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective.
- [Project and Task Management] The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
- [Stakeholder Management] A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
- [Communication] The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs.
- [Collaboration] The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
- [Continuous Learning] The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning, including a willingness to request feedback and incorporate it to improve individual performance and to seek out and participate in career-relevant learning activities
- [Resourcefulness] The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.