Democracy Fund invests in organizations working to ensure that our political system is able to withstand new challenges and deliver on its promise to the American people. We work on things that make democracy work better.
At the heart of our vision for the future are three core commitments: fostering more effective governance in the United States, modernizing our election and campaign finance systems, and strengthening our media and the public square to help people understand and participate in the democratic process. To date, we have committed more than $100 million in support of a healthy democracy.
Out of deep respect for the U.S. Constitution and our nation’s core democratic values, eBay founder and philanthropist Pierre Omidyar founded Democracy Fund. Incubated in the Omidyar Network, the Democracy Fund launched as an independent foundation in 2014 and is based in Washington, D.C.
Learn more about Democracy Fund and our sister 501(c)(4) organization Democracy Fund Voice by visiting www.democracyfund.org and www.democracyfundvoice.org.
In response to a swell of interest, Democracy Fund is building a new team that will activate a powerful network of philanthropic, political, and civic leaders to build resources in support of a more trustworthy, equitable, and resilient democracy. As such, Democracy Fund is seeking an enthusiastic and detail-oriented Partnerships Assistant to join our newly formed Philanthropic Partnerships team.
As a founding member of the Partnerships team, the Assistant will play a key role in supporting the emerging strategy. We are looking for someone who loves working in a fast-paced, mission-driven, entrepreneurial environment, and brings a keen attention to detail. The position focuses on providing logistical and administrative support for the partnerships team including: scheduling, contract and invoice management, project management, event planning support, and other tasks. The ideal candidate is a careful planner who successfully meets deadlines and is ready to support a high performing team through their next phase of growth. This role is a hub for work happening across the team and helps other internal teams connect to and collaborate with Partnerships.
The Assistant will be a part of our growing Communications and Network team, and will report to the Director of Partnerships. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
The Partnerships Assistant’s primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Track donor cultivation and stewardship activities through Salesforce with professionalism and discretion.
- Coordinate and oversee regular updates of stewardship reports and files to ensure frontline fundraisers have up-to-date information.
- Support production and coordination of major events, special communications, meeting and trip reports, and President’s Letters.
- Assist with planning documents (work flows, agendas, contact sheets, etc.), invitations and lists, mailings, responses, and guest lists.
- Maintain records on event activities, progress, status, and post-event summaries.
- Cultivate trust with diverse external contacts and internal staff by acting with integrity and professionalism, grace, and credibility while maintaining discretion and confidentiality in all working relationships.
HIGH-LEVEL ADMINISTRATIVE AND PROJECT SUPPORT
- Manage logistics for team meetings, external event planning and on-site execution, travel, information sharing across the team, calendars of the leadership team, and expense reports.
- Oversee processes and system improvements to enhance the Partnerships team’s productivity.
- Edit and proofread a variety of written pieces with high attention to detail, including special information packages, letters, and reports. Research and draft briefing memos and project updates.
- Work with IT staff to support team technology needs as they arise.
- Have a hands-on approach; handle matters proactively by following up and following through, and prioritizing conflicting issues in a logical and sensible manner.
- Problem-solving to determine appropriate course of action, meet deadlines, and ensure processes move smoothly.
- Assist with management of contracts, invoices, sponsorships, and grants that run through the Partnerships team.
- Promote a team culture that values collaboration, positivity, transparency, high performance, continuous improvement, and prioritizes learning and quality.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Team player with the ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively.
- Ability to work effectively with staff at all levels, balancing projects and priorities for multiple team members.
- Work to develop and refine strong cross organizational systems with other administrative staff and the Operations team.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Passion for strengthening American democracy and comfort with working across differences.
- 3+ years of experience supporting a high performing team or senior level executive management, preferably in a nonprofit setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced Degree in political science, psychology, or other fields relevant to the study of public opinion preferred.
- Confidence and capability to adapt and execute on a new team that is building and maintaining structures.
- Motivated by and demonstrated ability to meet high performance goals and deadlines.
- Excellent organization and follow through that reflects well-honed skills to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly, with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High comfort with Microsoft Office, and proficiency with Adobe Acrobat and Salesforce web platforms preferred.
- Willingess to travel at least quarterly, and to perform occasional evening and weekend work; ability to staff events as needed.
- Associate/Bachelors degree (or equivalent experience)
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume here. No calls please.
Democracy Fund is committed to a diverse workplace, seeking voices and expertise from people from across the political spectrum. Our board, staff, advisors, and grantees include Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. Democracy Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer, where we encourage candidates of all ages, color, ethnic background, country of origin, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity to apply.
Be the first to comment
Sign in with